Electrician/Facilities Manager Regional

Treacle

Hello Everyone, I recently moved to the south west in September 2013 on a 475 visa, and struggling to find work as an electrician or Facilities Manager. I have my A grade Licence and white card. I have over 5 years experience working in Facilities from the UK. I have been searching in the local papers, on seek and unable to find a good job. Can anyone help or shed some advice as I am now becoming very dis-heartened with my new life in WA. Many thanks in advance.

Guest guest9824

Not sure what to say other than i hope things change for the better for you. It does seem like its a real hard slog trying to secure regional work now. Just wanted to wish you all the best.

Pea

Give me an idea of where you want to work, what type of electrical work, type of salary expectations, and your experience?

Regards 40Watts1975

Hello Everyone, I recently moved to the south west in September 2013 on a 475 visa, and struggling to find work as an electrician or Facilities Manager. I have my A grade Licence and white card. I have over 5 years experience working in Facilities from the UK. I have been searching in the local papers, on seek and unable to find a good job. Can anyone help or shed some advice as I am now becoming very dis-heartened with my new life in WA. Many thanks in advance.

Give me an idea of where you want to work, what type of electrical work, type of salary expectations, and your experience?

Regards 40Watts1975

I am happy to work anywhere, move closer to Perth. $60K I thought would be a good starting point. I have experience in Domestic, commercial and some Industrial. I do enjoy fault finding as I find this gets the old brain working harder. I have a lot of experience as a Facilities Manager from the UK.

Lets start with salary, I would suggest, 60-70k is still the average wage for an A grade Sparky.

The problem you have, is there are lots of sparkies coming from the mine sites etc, coming back to Perth, Also some companies are thinning out their staff in Perth.

The upside of this, is a lot of the miners, wont work for 60-70k, and they are out of touch with everything, except mining.

Also, the guys that have been thinned out from Perth companies, are quite often the least productive.

What you have to do, is stand out from the rest, quite often, just replying to jobs in adverts wont get you anywhere, someone with local experience, will get the job over you.

Get in your car, take your CV, and go round some of the larger companies, even the companies advertising.

Turning up in person, and presenting yourself well, often gets you a foot in the door.

My knowledge of companies down south, is limited, the only one I know, is Downer's (large company)

In Perth there are lots, below is just a few worth trying.

TES Electrical (Triventi Electrical Services)

Downer's

Williams Electrical

Adco

AB Tilbury's

Westwide

Hammond Electrical

Electek

You might have to offer working a week for free, to prove yourself, whatever it takes to get a foot in the door, then once you have a bit more local experience on your CV, you will stand a better chance anywhere.

Shutdown work is another thing to look out for, on Seek and in the paper, you might have to take casual work for a while, as some of the smaller companies don't want to recruit full time positions at the moment.

Hope this helps

Regards

40WATTS1975

I am happy to work anywhere, move closer to Perth. $60K I thought would be a good starting point. I have experience in Domestic, commercial and some Industrial. I do enjoy fault finding as I find this gets the old brain working harder. I have a lot of experience as a Facilities Manager from the UK.