Is Westminster a good suburb?

Hi guys, hubby is in Perth already and searching for rental accommodation for us when I get there with the kids. Still some time until we arrive in August but I want to get settled somewhere with a good primary school.

His work is in North Perth and even though I love SOR it would be too far so we decided to stay north while renting, the suburbs I like are Wembley, Innaloo, Joondanna, Yokine and Bayswater as they have a lovely primary school.

I've seen few nice houses in Westminster but reading through people say it has a bad reputation and high crime rates?

Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!!

I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft bargepole. Avoid KGB, Koondoola, Ghirawheen and Balga and most of the surrounding suburbs in my opinion. Just google these suburbs and you will see heaps of issues. Wembley would be the best option of the suburbs you mention.

Westminster Primary performs significantly below the National average on the NAPLAN test. Could be because 40% of the kids have English as a second language and 19% are Aboriginal. Don't know how old your kids are but parts of Wembley are in the catchment area for Churchlands High, one of the best State high schools in WA.

Westminster Primary performs significantly below the National average on the NAPLAN test. Could be because 40% of the kids have English as a second language and 19% are Aboriginal. Don't know how old your kids are but parts of Wembley are in the catchment area for Churchlands High, one of the best State high schools in WA.

Thank you all for the replies, very eye opening! I thought was a bit strange, houses are so cheap!!! Scot seen that the primary school isn't great so that's a no go for me! My son is 9 and one of our priorities is get a good PS! I've been looking around but everything near where my husband works (North Perth) is bloody expensive! I think he will have to review his commuting!!! I don't want to leave my home with 3 kids to be squeezed into a small old house just because is central! Arghhhh!!! Decisions decisions!!!!!

Westminster is certainly not a suburb I would recommend, however, I lived in Balcatta for almost 2 years, which is a nice place. Even though it's right next to Westminster. Generally you can say: Eastern side of Wanneroo Road should be avoided, western side is ok. Wanneroo Road seems to be some sort of border between good and bad for some reason.

• 4 weeks later...

The suburbs you mention are all good (except Westminster of course! - it used to just be 'Balga' but then they renamed half of the suburb a few years' back to try and drag it out of the ghetto....unsuccessfully!). Some parts of Wembley are really very nice, but it's quite pricey. Bayswater is okay, but personally I would be looking more at Wembley and Innaloo if you can find something half-decent that won't break the bank.