The lowdown on Clarkson and Kinross please

Guest Rocheal

Guest Rocheal

Hi There

Looking at house prices and my large family needing a 5 bedroom we have narrowed our serch down to Northern Suburbs tossing up between Clarkson (went there recently while on holiday noticed lots of new building of houses, new train station and the trade school being built) lots seems to be happening so why are house prices so much cheaper then in other locations like just next door in Kinross the house price jumps by 100k I would love to hear form people who have moved to either of these suburbs or are also thinking about it.:skeptical:

Hi

Clarkson, not sure why the prices vary so much, Clarkson does have a few pockets that have a reputation of being quite rough. having said that there are some parts of it that are quite nice, The somerley estate for example.

Kinross is an older suburb but you do seem to get a bit of bang for your buck there. It seems nice enough to me though. Carramar and currambine are also pretty reasonably priced

Whats your budget?

Guest Rocheal

Well still want to put food on the table, fuel in the car and drinks in the fridge so want to stay under the 500k dont want to make the bank too wealthy lol.

Good Idea if you can stay under the $500k as you will avoid the dreaded Stamp duty, I was out last weekend with a friend of mine who is moving over from Melbourne. we were looking at Kinross, Currambine, Carramar and there were quite a few properties in that price range, Tapping is worth considering as well. If you would like some advice on figures etc, I am happy to assist, you may want to personal mail me if you want to keep your situation private.

Guest guest1337
Hi There

Looking at house prices and my large family needing a 5 bedroom we have narrowed our serch down to Northern Suburbs tossing up between Clarkson (went there recently while on holiday noticed lots of new building of houses, new train station and the trade school being built) lots seems to be happening so why are house prices so much cheaper then in other locations like just next door in Kinross the house price jumps by 100k I would love to hear form people who have moved to either of these suburbs or are also thinking about it.:skeptical:

We live in Clarkson, (NOT SOMERLY) and have done for 3 years now, and can't fault it to be honest, we live in a quite street with nice Aussie neighbours. We've owner our house approx 18 months, we recently had it valued by 3 agents all agreed it was worth up to $70,000 more than what we bought it for!!!:shocked:

In my opionion you should buy a house where you like, what suits you and your budget and listen to advise from people who acctually live in the area, All suburbs will have a dodgy bit, thats the same the world over.

Trusting the advise of people you don't know or who have no first hand experience seem strange to me, but each to there own!

Guest Rocheal

Thanks for that Lee I am curious can you please explain to me a little about how stamp duty works in WA as here in SA we pay stamp duty on everything (I think) I appreciate someone in the know being able to answer my silly questions and I will certainly be keeping you in the fore front of my mind when we start getting down to dollars and cents. (need the ducks in a row via work transfer to fall into line first) however helps us a lot in negotiations if we know some facts.

Guest Rocheal

Thank you for your honest lowdown on Clarkson I am really keen to hear from people who know about it first hand, I am also liking the look of the schools in Kinross anyone out there able to share their knowledge?

Kinross is a nice suburb with good schools. How old are you kids? Kinross has a primary school, followed by Kinross college for years 6 to 10. Then for the last 2 years they go to Mindarie Senior college, which too has a good reputation. You may struggle to find a 5 bedroom house in Kinross below $580K. Seem to be a fair few SA living in Kinross.

Malcs

Hi Rocheal

In WA, If you are a first time buyer and eligable for the first home buyers grant (which is currently $7000) and buy a property under $500k you should qualify for Stamp duty exemption.

If you are not a first time buyer, you are still eligable for a residential concession on stamp duty if it is an owner occupied property (ie - you are living in it).

Are you a first time buyer in Australia?

If you send me a personal mail I am happy to do up a loan report for you to give you some idea of costs and repayments if it helps you.

i will obviously need to get further info from you though.

Guest Bob Tonnor
Well still want to put food on the table, fuel in the car and drinks in the fridge so want to stay under the 500k dont want to make the bank too wealthy lol.

Hi there, i think your a touch too late to stop the banks getting to wealthy, if your after a mortgage check this out, CANSTAR CANNEX Mortgages save it to your favourites because it updates every week, you will notice that there are many lenders cheaper than the banks, mainly credit unions. Heres a 5 bed 2 bath in clarkson for $420,00 8 MORTON GROVE, CLARKSON, 6030 - House for Sale #106397598 - realestate.com.au if you check out Location Lowdown | Clarkson WA Australia Real Estate | Clarkson WA Australia Immigration | Clarkson WA Australia Relocation there are loads more properties and also a section to check out the law for consumers in WA. If you cant find what your after look to this About Stamp Duty WA .

Good luck

Bob

Guest kevwend

hi as per the norm clarkson has the worse reputation in the northern suburbs but on saying this ... i believe as in all places it only takes one incident to give an area a bad name .. it isnt the prettiest place to live and yes i suppose in comparison to other places its quite densely populated so hence the reputation the local senior school clarkson community college has a terrible reputation and being a big believer in finding out for ones self and not listening to rumour i sent my daughter in year 11 there and she lasted 4 weeks due to bullies and general lack of discipline in the school these are obviously my personal opinions and i dont expect anyone to agree or disagree a personal summery from myself !

Guest guest1337
hi as per the norm clarkson has the worse reputation in the northern suburbs but on saying this ... i believe as in all places it only takes one incident to give an area a bad name .. it isnt the prettiest place to live and yes i suppose in comparison to other places its quite densely populated so hence the reputation the local senior school clarkson community college has a terrible reputation and being a big believer in finding out for ones self and not listening to rumour i sent my daughter in year 11 there and she lasted 4 weeks due to bullies and general lack of discipline in the school these are obviously my personal opinions and i dont expect anyone to agree or disagree a personal summery from myself !

Not that I wish to argue but, Balga, merriwa & mirrabooka are far worse suburbs than Clarkson, also Ridgewood is very bad for house burgularies for example.

Your response seem to be based on 1 bad experience with 1 school in the area, If your more objective and explain in clear factual detail your arguement, or experience of living in an area then your opinion will be takn seriously!:wink:

Thanks

Guest stevieb

Just for info the percentage of homes broken into (in 2008, latest figures available online) for the suburbs was as follows.

Balga 7.07%

Mirrabooka 6.70%

Clarkson 4.30%

Ridgewood 3.50%

Merriwa 2.40%

Interestingly enough, WA is still the the burglary capital of Australia and residents here are almost twice as likely to get burgled as residents of QLD, NSW, VIC and TAS.:shocked:

Guest kendalg
Hi Rocheal

In WA, If you are a first time buyer and eligable for the first home buyers grant (which is currently $7000) and buy a property under $500k you should qualify for Stamp duty exemption.

If you are not a first time buyer, you are still eligable for a residential concession on stamp duty if it is an owner occupied property (ie - you are living in it).

Are you a first time buyer in Australia?

If you send me a personal mail I am happy to do up a loan report for you to give you some idea of costs and repayments if it helps you.

i will obviously need to get further info from you though.

Hi Lee - sorry to bother you but I noticed you seem to be a man in the know! I'm coming over in 5 weeks for a "rekkie" with my husband and would like to speak to someone about mortgages and first time buyers grant. Where are you based and would you be able to fit us in week commencing 25 April for a week only.

• 1 month later...
Guest Bobcat
Hi Lee - sorry to bother you but I noticed you seem to be a man in the know! I'm coming over in 5 weeks for a "rekkie" with my husband and would like to speak to someone about mortgages and first time buyers grant. Where are you based and would you be able to fit us in week commencing 25 April for a week only.

Not sure if you are still here; or still require mortgage advice and assistance?

If you do I heartily recommend David Mottram who is in the northern suburbs; he works for Thane Finance who operate out of new premises out at Wangara now (right next door to David Evans Real Estate office); prior to which they were in Hocking.

David is a regular poster on most migrant sites. He has recently got 17 mortgage applications over the line for us in the last couple of months; and is currently working on half a dozen other applications we have referred to him.

I try and spread work out amongst several mortgage brokers i have got to know during my 13 years in the industry selling houses in the northern suburbs; but David gets the bulk of our work due to his efficiency and high level of quality service.

He managed to get a mortgage for one of my clients who is 62 years old and out of work.......... can't recommend him enough. He has fixed up mortgages for several Perth Poms members

I know Lorraine Mcrossen at Thane finance and we also arrange car finance for them from time to time, I cant speak for David but I am sure he is good at what he does if Lorraine is anything to go by therefore I agree with what you have commented on Bobcat.

Just one thing to take heed of the future mate for your own Info, in case you you have any clients in a similar situation, lending money to a 62 year old unemployed person would be classed as unsuitable lending as of 1st of July as the industry will be heavily regulated by ASIC. Unless he had a lot of investment income to sustain the debt. I am sure David will be fully aware of that anyway.

All the best

Guest kendalg

Hi Lee. Just to say thanks for meeting with Ross and I when we were out last week. Back in Scotland now and wanting to start the process of moving out. We loved it and appreciate all the info and contacts you gave us. Hope to keep in touch. Kendal x

Guest jimmybhoyd

Hi Rocheal. I have to say I don't actually live in either Kinross or Clarkson but these are both areas my family and I seriously considered before deciding on our current location. Like someone else said everywhere has their bad areas but we felt and from what we heard Clarkson was the least desirable of the two areas and we wanted Kinross after studying it more.

Like yourself though, we found Kinross to be a bit expensive and started looking the other side of Joondalup and settled in Banksia Grove. I have to say here and Carramar are fantastic, both have great schools and both fairly quiet areas. We do hear a few boy racers going up Joondalup Drive as major road but that aside no complaints. We also have Carramar shopping village and Lakeside is 10 mins drive so everything on our doorstep. We also considered Carrumbine which has a fairly good rep.

Most houses in this area are around the $415 mark although do vary. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Guest jock
Hi There

I have not long ago gone through the same questions. There are some really nice pockets in Clarkson, particularly around the train station area (Somerly). The deciding factor is the school system. If you can afford to send all your children private then you can live anywhere you want. If you wish to use the state system then please look at the following (as I am unsure how old your children are). Kinross has a better reputation than Clarkson for older children; Clarkson carries on to year 12 but Kinross stops at year 10. If you get a rental in Kinross and the children are the right age to go to Kinross College (up to year 10), then they automatically are in catchment for Mindarie Senior College which has a very good reputation not only locally but within Australia. Most local primary schools are fairly similar but if you have children of year 6 upwards then Kinross would be a better option for you. If they are older then you might want to look at Quinns and Mindarie as they are the only areas that are actually in catchment for Mindarie (years 11 and 12). If your children are year 11 or 12 and you live in Kinross then they have to go to Clarkson (I only asked this question this week) as my daughter wants to go to Mindarie from her private school as there are more subjects on offer for her. Its a difficult one, how old are the children? If your children go to either Yanchep Middle or Kinross College they are automatically entitled to go to Mindarie.

Its very confusing and I have spent several months trying to work it out. I think that I have finally reached the end of the tunnel, though some of the criteria seems to have got muddled in the process. Hope this helps; let me know if you want to know anything else. Regards Jo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest Rocheal

Wow sorry all of you who replied, It has been ages since I have been on the forum, life has been how can I say without offending mmmm CRAZY. Well the good news is we are on our way across. Hubby got his promotion yay, the bad news is he has been over there for a month now without me and the kids as he had to start his new job straight away and well I have been here waiting for our house to sell...........dont know how the market is there but here in Mt Gambiers SA i think the average listing time before sale is up around a year or more grrrrr. Any way I will be hitting the forum trying to get some advice about schools and rentals. etc but I wanted to thank you all for your words, Lee when we have sold up and have settled in we will be calling you to have a chat about purchasing (prob not till I have done my 4 years at uni, and move atleast one of the boys out of home so that we dont need such a huge house)

• 1 month later...
Hi There

Sorry to burst your bubble but if you are able then stay away from these suburbs.

They have a lot of social probs and you are a long way from nowhere.

This is the truth, PS I have lived in Perth surrounds for a long time.

Guest guest1337
Sorry to burst your bubble but if you are able then stay away from these suburbs.

They have a lot of social probs and you are a long way from nowhere.

This is the truth, PS I have lived in Perth surrounds for a long time.

What a load of crap! We lived in these area's for nearly 4 years and its just fine. Either justify your statement's with facts or your comments are worthless.

Please feel free to tell us all where you live then we'll all move there and live in Paradise where there's clearly no crime or social problems.

Thanks