Electronic Engineer needs work

Guest spongebob64

Guest spongebob64

Hi, I need to find a job as an electronic engineer. Any suggestions? I have placed my CV on Seek.com.au this weekend. Other than sending my CV to every company I can find in the yellow pages has anyone got other suggestions? good newspapers that advertise jobs etc? Any help be gratefully received.:)

I hate to be a downer, but..... there's not a lot of work in Australia, let alone WA, for electrical engineers. There's just not enough R&D going on here. That said, looking at your age you must have a decent amount of relevant work experience in the area, so if anyone is likely to get an EE job it's probably you :) (and I wasn't having a shot at your age I promise.)

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Big Al

Electronic engineer is rather broad term, I dont know if you work in a particular field or which city you are based in? I think you would need to provide more details for other forum member to be able to offer advice.

Guest spongebob64

Thanks Big Al.

Well I'm an electronics engineer with 24 years experience in the electronics industry and am practiced at analogue and digital circuit design, software and micro-controller based system design together with extensive test development experience.

Starting with a clean sheet I have experience of designing a system using simulation tools to iterate as required, port the schematic to an ECAD system, layout the PCB, prototype the circuit board, build the prototype in the lab, test the circuit sub-systems, design, test and debug the embedded software, install and commission the system and provide field support and training.

I also have experience in post design support of existing products, for example implementing modifications due to component changes and forensic investigations into failures and importantly implementing corrective actions to prevent re-occurrence.

For most of my career I have been in and around the production test environment so am accomplished at production test strategy development together with design for test, requirements specification, test system design, construction, commissioning, calibration and support all compliant with an ISO9001 environment.

My skills do not stop with Electronics, as I have a good working knowledge of mechanics and pneumatic systems and interfacing them to electronic systems. My use of computers to control test, measurement and control systems gives me a solid understanding of application software development, support and training as well as the skills to diagnose and repair windows and UNIX based computers and networks.

I am looking either for permanent sponsorship under the 121 visa or for short-term sponsorship with a view to permanent residency under employer sponsored 457 visa.

Any help or advice will be welcomed.

Julian

Guest Big Al

Ah spongebob much clearer now I know you are not in Perth.

I think you will struggle as most of that kind of work is done in Taiwan etc. Perth is very much an export town, we dig things up, let gas out of the ground, then export it. The jobs are created from services around this, there is very little manufacturing as the government makes its money from royalties.

I’m sorry I cannot offer you assistance after you posted your reply but perhaps you may understand why you are not getting any job offers.

Guest spongebob64

Thanks Big Al that makes things make more sense. Been told (pomsinoz) lots of the electronic industry is in Victoria so perhaps I'd be better off trying there. I like Perth very much and Electronic Engineer is currently on WA's State Migration Plan so thought there would be jobs as its an occupation in particular demand. Thanks for your help tho.

Julian

• 10 months later...
Guest jpzante

Hi sponge, i too am an electronics engineer but my background is in the repair service for test equipments.

I wonder what kind of electronics job WA is specifically looking for.

Guest spongebob64

Hi JP

May I ask if you are on shore or off shore? If you are off shore, from experience not many electonic companies sponsor into Western Australia as most companies are generally small and there is not enough short fall for them to bother filling in the paperwork. That said, we got out and into Western Australia on a permenant visa but this wasn't from an advert it was through a friend of a friend and coming out on "holiday" and getting my face seen by the right people at the right time so consider myself very lucky. Once you are in Australia however, it is much easier to get jobs in the industry. It may be easier to get a job through a big mining company but you wouldn't be in nice sunny Perth, you would be in baking hot Port Hedland! Lots of little companies, not many big companies. Hope this helps.

Guest jpzante

Hi sponge, i launched an offshore 175 which grants an automatic PR and allows you to be flexible in terms of choosing locations.

I reckon to default in melbourne and hopefully find an electronics job there. Perhaps servicing industrial or medical electronic devices or equipments.