Australia Expo in the UK this month

Guest The Family Witts

Guest The Family Witts

Hello to all,

For those of you still in the UK and wanting to make the move to Australia (like me, Civil Engineer by trade), then I provide you with a link to an Expo which is happening throughout this month. The Expo is geared more towards the Construction Sector, however they are holding many pitches for Healthcare and I.T too.

Opportunities Australia Expo

There are free seminars held throughoyt the day too, including one for 'Living and Working in Western Australia' - ideal for those members on this forum would you not agree?!

I myself have got a ticket to the event this coming weekend in Manchester - I'm really looking forward to it. There are still lots of tickets available for this event as I have just called to check before I posted this.

I hope this is of interest to some of you out there - good luck!!

Lee.

Guest stevieb

On the subject of expos, National Australia Bank (nab) regularly run free workshops in a number of countries around the world.

It’s an opportunity for you to ask questions to a panel of experienced experts in their relevant fields. Of course this way you also get to hear about others concerns, which you might not have considered yet!

Most of the time the seminars are held in a ‘boardroom’ environment with around 40 guests present. There will be a number of information sessions on topics like: “The Australian economy”, buying property, the banking system, opening an account, transferring funds to Australia, getting independent financial advise, pension transfers, tax considerations, visa issues and shipping your personal items.

Our aim is not to use these sessions as a sales pitch, although both us and our partners would like to assist you. Our aim is to provide you with an open environment that provides you with an opportunity to ask your questions and get some answers and insights to your concerns.

2011 Workshop Dates

Wednesday 30 March Leeds

Thursday 31 March Liverpool

Monday 4 April Birmingham

Tuesday 5 April Derby

Wednesday 6 April Nottingham

Tuesday 17 May Belfast

Wednesday 18 May Dublin

Thursday 19 May Cork

Tuesday 7 June Aberdeen

Wednesday 8 June Edinburgh

Thursday 9 June Glasgow

Monday 4 July Cardiff

Tuesday 5 July Bristol

Wednesday 6 July Bath

Tuesday 26 July Reading

Wednesday 27 July Basingstoke

Thursday 28 July Guildford

Tuesday 6 September Coventry

Wednesday 7 September Leicester

Thursday 8 September Milton Keynes

Tuesday 4 October Aberdeen

Wednesday 5 October Edinburgh

Thursday 6 October Glasgow

Tuesday 8 November Newcastle

Wednesday 9 November Middlesborough (Stockton on Tees)

Monday 28 November Portsmouth

Tuesday 29 November Southampton

Wednesday 30 November Richmond

Guest guest3278

Hi Lee

You might be dissappointed if you've been led to believe Manchester will be geared towards construction it'll be mainly Healthcare and the mining industry.

Although there will be stands from the different states, and migration agents touting for business.

Health Jobs Around the World / Opportunities Abroad 2011 : Forthcoming Events : Manchester Central

Baz

Guest The Family Witts

Thanks Baz,

You're absolutely right - I was aware of the different bands of industry as you describe. On reading my post again it's clear that I poorly attempted to club everything together as 'Construction Sector'. I give myself a C- and must try harder!

Guest guest3278
Thanks Baz,

You're absolutely right - I was aware of the different bands of industry as you describe. On reading my post again it's clear that I poorly attempted to club everything together as 'Construction Sector'. I give myself a C- and must try harder!

LOL ok mate just didn't want you to be disappointed.

Went to the Manchester expo on 20th march. Complete waste of time and money. Learned absolutely nothing and in fact had our enthusiasm dampened if anything. Save your money. Speak directly to the people you want to work for and put in the leg work yourself, thats the anser.

Guest The Family Witts

Having now been there myself jch, I completely agree!

The event was mis-sold as they did make the statement 'Companies will be looking to interview you on the day' - all they did was take my CV, and ask me to register on their company’s website - I could have done that from my home and saved £15!

It was overcrowded with very cramped stalls and the whole event it is more of a marketing/name taking exercise for companies as opposed to them looking to recruit you with immediate effect – again, something the advertisement alluded to.

The only thing of any interest to me, and actually it turned out to be very useful was to have a discussion with Commonwealth Bank about accounts, credit ratings and mortgages etc. Very useful, and they gave me a CB beach ball to take home for my daughter - result!

This particular Expo was certainly geared towards the casual enquirer migrant, as opposed to the committed, researched migrant.

Ah well, more fool me for being taken in by false-advertising. Of course, someone else may have the entirely oppose view to me on this Expo - it's a matter of what you wanted to achieve out of your day there.

Anyway, case closed, £15 lighter!

Would you believe me if I told you that powers that be had a *The road show* last year doing the rounds in each state in Australia, did the same

things wasted people`s time and money. They went to lots of places where

business`s were closing because of drought, and there were thousands of

people on the dole.(welfare) Everyone who attended had to put their names down to get in, that way they found that lots of people who were`nt working

were wanting to work in the Mining industry to earn the big money, who didn`t line up for ordinary jobs in their own fields. It was a advertised as a private enterprise thing, but they gave the information they gained to government departments, who have since told the participants that they were to be contacted in the future , if there were any vacancies... all another way of finding out people who never line up for the dole, but have other means of living, in this age of short term jobs they work in for a few days a week.

the government checking up on how many people are registered for work, and those that are`nt on an electoral role for voting, but still want to work... they catch people who have over stayed visa`s and have been hidden in the shadows for years. Some people who have been reported missing in the past, to escape their humdrum lives, who have got out of paying for their children`s expenses, who have just left.... its a waste of time and money as far as I am opinioned, setting people to think they might have a chance of getting a real job..

of course they have employed people to go and do these lectures so i suppose they have taken some off the dole to do it......:wacko: