website designer

Hi all,

I am looking at putting together a website when we arrive in Perth and would like an idea of costs/server running costs etc.

I have a lot of experience in the UK of setting up and running websites but not in Australia.

If anyone can professionally build websites and is potentially looking for some cash in hand work or potential business partnership then please email me.

Hi Dean

Unless you're got a need to host your website on a sever in an Australian data centre, I'd look at hosting it in the US. I hosted all our forums in Australia for 12 months before moving them to a dedicated server in the states. You literally get twice as much for your money.

Cheapest place to buy a .com.au domain name - crazydomains.com.au - from $12. Some place will charge you over $100, I kid you not.

For Australian hosting, I've used http://www.hostingbay.com.au for hosting some other sites in the past (not forums) and they were fine (don't use them anymore as all my sites are now on the same dedicated server).

Hi Cerberus

Thanks for the tip off and you are right they are a lot cheaper. I am trying to buy a domain name in Australia but unlike the UK it is asking for a buisness number before I can purchase the domain name which is available.

Do you know how I can buy the name without a BN number or how I get a BN without committing myself to opening the business in WA when we arrive?

To register a .com.au you have to have an ABN or ACN, there's no way around that and the domain name you register has to be closely associated with your business, so may be best waiting till you arrive.

Depends what you want to do, you could go with a .com (and tell google the 'target' country is Australia so the domain is more likely to appear in Australian search results).

The reasoning for choosing a .com.au goes along the lines of 'trust' etc and the Australian love of all things 'Australian owned, Australian operated'.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest timevans

Hi Dean,

I'm not a website designer however I enjoy building personal websites. I own several domains and have a personal website using WordPress and a professional website built using xSitePro. I use UK2.net to register my non Australian Domains and Servage for hosting (this is a referral link that will give us both and extra 75GB of space if you register).

Happy to chat and see if I can help you with your website.

Tim

Guest timevans

Ye, we will be in living in Perth, staying with friends for a few months while we look for somewhere to rent. If you want to PM, I'll let you know how I maybe able to help you.

Tim