Would I be eligible at this time?

Guest Gary Bjorck

Guest Gary Bjorck

Hi folks, I am just looking for some advice really. I have just finished a 4 year uni course where I gained a BA hons in psychology. I have work experience working with people with special needs but would like to come to Oz to work as a psychology assistant and maybe continue my studies to gain my PhD and continue my career as a psychologist. I have relatives in Perth and have sat a mock visa questionnaire to find out if we had enough points to come over, the we being my wife and daughter. Apparently I have enough points, my question for now is, how accurate are these questionnaires? It was from the migration expert website if that makes a difference. I have always wanted to move to Oz as there is no prospects for my daughter here. I would also be grateful for advice on where to look for employers, if any, who may sponser.

I apologise if I sound as if Im rambling, my head if full of web pages and information overload lol. And then I found this site that may be able to steer me in the right direction instead of me going around in circles :)

Thank you in advance for any advice at all. As you may already have worked out, I am just starting on this journey that hopefully will end up with me in Oz

Gary

Guest NeilEB

Personally I would go to a reputable migration agent, and see if they can give you a proper assessment.

Go Matilda seem to be very highly rated. You don;t have to use the agent (they can be expensive), but they'll know whether you can qualify or not.

I think the points tests you can find online aren't "official" as DIAC won't disclose their actual scoring system. However, they're generally pretty accurate. If you were way above the threshold, you should be fine. One thing we did after having done an online test and figured we were OK was go to one of the expo's that several companies regularly hold (e.g. http://www.expo-australia.com/). Costs a few quid to get in. There were some agents there who (albeit after a lengthy wait in a queue (get there early!)) did a similar points test and chatted to us a bit more. They basically agreed with what we'd already researched - that we should go for Western Australia State Sponsorship and then apply for a 176 visa and we'd be fine.

Using an agent or not is a personal choice. Check they're regulated by the Australian scheme thing (should be details of registered ones on the DIAC website somewhere). They need to be regulated or they're illegal/con-men I believe. For us, our points score was above anything that would be a concern and we'd read which forms to complete etc so decided to go it alone and save a couple of grand. In other situations, I guess especially if a points test is on the cusp, the tips and tricks up the sleeve of an agent may be worth paying for. Either way you have to fill in a lot of forms I think. And suffer agonising waits.

Guest Thomas Mckeown

Hi Gary,

After looking on a few web sites and going to a few seminar/expo's we decided to use an agent, it was more just for piece of mind, I couldnt imagine spending all that money and finding out we had done something wrong lol.

Again after looking through lots of sites etc we decided to use a company called visa-go the person we are dealing with is called Darren Chatt, before we signed up for anything we must have called him at least half a dozen times and every time he was happy to chat away and give us all the info we were looking for without costing us anything. So I would give them a call just to go over your points etc.. I'm sure they will be only to happy to help you and your family as they have ours, anyway good luck with everything, hope it goes well.

Thomas

Guest Gary Bjorck
Hi Gary,

After looking on a few web sites and going to a few seminar/expo's we decided to use an agent, it was more just for piece of mind, I couldnt imagine spending all that money and finding out we had done something wrong lol.

Again after looking through lots of sites etc we decided to use a company called visa-go the person we are dealing with is called Darren Chatt, before we signed up for anything we must have called him at least half a dozen times and every time he was happy to chat away and give us all the info we were looking for without costing us anything. So I would give them a call just to go over your points etc.. I'm sure they will be only to happy to help you and your family as they have ours, anyway good luck with everything, hope it goes well.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas, I can understand why people wouldn't use an agent, but like you, I'm pretty sure I'd miss something and it would end up costing us extra money and, more importantly, time! I think I will give this guy a call, if nothing else, just to get a start lol.

Have you made the move already or are you still planning?

Gary

Guest Thomas Mckeown

Hey, we are still in rainy Scotland but have our medicals booked for the end of this month and that's us finished just a waiting game after that, let us know how you get on buddy.

Guest Gary Bjorck

Excellent mate, well all the best and I hope you dont wait too long lol. Where abouts in Oz are you heading for? Would you mind if I asked, ball figure, how much everything has cost you? Just so I dont get that sick feeling when I speak to someone lol

Guest Thomas Mckeown

I'll get the prices later for you when the wifey comes home she has a list of it all somewhere......it's about £5000-£6000 for everything for a family of four that's including agent, vetasses, medicals, police checks, the SS fee and obviously the visa. I'll do a proper break down of it all later mate.

Guest Gary Bjorck

Oh mate, that would be excellent. Like I said, we are just starting out just now, so it would probably make sense to use an agent. How long did the whole process take for yourselves? There is only 3 of us, but my wife is thinking about going back to uni just now while going through the process. Probably be a good idea to speak to someone sooner rather than later. I filled in the form from that link you posted, so hopefuly someone will get back to us soon.

I've just realised I asked you what part of Oz your going to, I thought this thread was on the Poms in Oz site lol!

Guest Thomas Mckeown

Sorry I didn't get back to before now mate it's been a busy few days...here they are now

Agent - £1500

vetassess - £1350

state sponsorship -£150

visa -£1750 (family of 4)

Medicals estimate @ £750

police checks £70

Hope this helps mate

Guest Gary Bjorck

Thanks so much for that mate, gives us a bit of a heads up. Still waiting to here from a couple of agents, want to find out what kind of capitol is needed also. If I dont here from them in a couple of days, I'll give them a phone.

Hope everything works out for you mate.