Job situation for plumbers...

Guest Lisa Tawse

Guest Lisa Tawse

Hi - We are currently starting out on our visa application journey.......my OH is a plumber and we have been noticing more and more info regarding the lack of plumbing jobs for people moving over to WA. If there is anyone that can give us a little bit more info regarding this that would be great.

He has now started looking into the possibility of moving over the to FIFO mines area of work so any insight into that too would be great!

Thanks

Hi Lisa

My Hubby is a plumber and we have just moved from SA to WA because the job situation was better in WA for Plumbers.

He found a job pretty quickly we have only been here 2 weeks today and he started Monday.

I think the difficulty is getting the UK skills converted to Ozzie Standards. We jumped through loads of hoops in SA to get the SA License and faced the same things when he converted to WA. We have spent about $6000 on courses and License fee's.

:wubclub:

Hi Lisa

My OH is also a plumber, we are in Perth at the moment, we have been here for nearly 3 weeks & are on a rekkie looking at different suburbs & also to see where the work is for my OH. The first week here my OH phoned round various plumbing companies to be told that things were a bit flat on the job front at the moment even the big recruitment agencies (Seek & Hays) said the same thing. We are staying in Safety Bay, Rockingham & have been through all their local papers but there is nothing there for plumbers.

In the last week or so he has had a couple of meetings with plumbers who said the work is there but it is just a bit quiet at the moment - maybe the run up to Christmas doesn't help!

Everyone seems to say that there is work in FIFO but it's whether or not that would suit your family...

It's still good to get out here to make a few contacts that you can keep in touch with when back in the UK. My OH found one contact when having his hair cut in the local hairdressers!

Hope that doesn't sound too negative...

Good luck with it all!

Becky

hi lisa hope your visa app goes ok. I to am going as a plumber early next year,after nearly three years myself and family have been grantrd our visas 175 perm res.But the more i look at these sites the more i think is there any work for plumbers in Perth i know its not what you know but who you know it seems but it seems to be a bit slow and after all this time we are having second thoughts about making the move.....................

same here mark, i to am a plumber and i keep looking at all the job sites, papers etc and there are no jobs going.

On one hand the wa government are saying theres too much work and need overseas workers only to find there are no jobs going.

with the cost of living etc as well its making me think twice and i've only just strarted my visda app

Hi Lisa

My Hubby is a plumber and we have just moved from SA to WA because the job situation was better in WA for Plumbers.

He found a job pretty quickly we have only been here 2 weeks today and he started Monday.

I think the difficulty is getting the UK skills converted to Ozzie Standards. We jumped through loads of hoops in SA to get the SA License and faced the same things when he converted to WA. We have spent about $6000 on courses and License fee's.

Hi, do you mind if i ask what the $6000 was for, as i contacted the wa plumbers board and they said a licence was about $200 for 3 years . If you go through vetasses for the skilled assessment then you have to do a practical and theory course. what it involves, haven't got a clue

Hi, do you mind if i ask what the $6000 was for, as i contacted the wa plumbers board and they said a licence was about $200 for 3 years . If you go through vetasses for the skilled assessment then you have to do a practical and theory course. what it involves, haven't got a clue

The $6000 was the courses he took to get to Cert 4 (Master Plumber) level in SA I think he had 5-7 plumbing course plus the buisness courses. Included in that was the fee for the SA Contractors License and The WA Contractors License and all they conversion he had to do just to be able to work.

Guest Lisa Tawse

Thanks for all the info an jobs and all your thoughts on they situation at the moment, its certainly making us think seriously about what to do. All we see on one hand is the WA government asking for tradies etc as there is so much work but then we are hearing the opposit in terms of actual work out there. Will definately be looking into the mining a bit more thoroughly and will continue with our application as we still want to get out there so very much.