Renting from private or agency

Hi, we are just starting look at rentals. We've been around the estate agencies but have also seen rentals advertised locally by private landlords. Are these okay to go with or do we not touch them? Also as we haven't got jobs yet ( only 2 weeks in) can we rent with no employment?? We can get proof of income from our uk bank, would this be sufficient? Thankyou!

We where not working when we took on our rental.We put 3 months rent down as the estate agents recommended us to put this on our application. We also had to show what we had in bank and give 2 people for a reference.

We looked at private and estate agents,do know a couple who have gone private.

We where not working when we took on our rental.We put 3 months rent down as the estate agents recommended us to put this on our application. We also had to show what we had in bank and give 2 people for a reference.

We looked at private and estate agents,do know a couple who have gone private.

thanks deb, that good to hear. We were not sure which to go with but will certainly have a look at the private one now. Thanks for the info regarding 3 months rent down, will do that. Thanks for replying

alison

Guest Guest6235

By the sounds of it from what people have put on here Alison it maybe better going private as some have mentioned agents not passing info/faults of the rental onto the landlord.

I would say go the other way, I have heard some horror stories from work colleagues who rented private, at least with an agent you have the full might of REIWA to fall back on, we have been renting for 3 years now with agents, no problems what so ever, just make sure everything is in writing, if you call them, follow up with an e mail, and make sure you put every mark or damage on the incoming condition report

Guest Guest6235
I would say go the other way, I have heard some horror stories from work colleagues who rented private, at least with an agent you have the full might of REIWA to fall back on, we have been renting for 3 years now with agents, no problems what so ever, just make sure everything is in writing, if you call them, follow up with an e mail, and make sure you put every mark or damage on the incoming condition report

Which agents are you with, might be worth a go when we arrive but I guess different branches will give levels of service.

Which agents are you with, might be worth a go when we arrive but I guess different branches will give levels of service.

We started with Ray White, with them for 2 years, they are extremely thorough and do everything by the book, can be a bit overwhelming, we are now with harcourts, they are a little bit more relaxed but still do everything by the book, any of the bigger agencies are fine

Guest Guest6235

You mentioned in the past on the thread 'cheesed off owner taking the p' that you struggled to get the bond back from Ray White for 3 months and their excuse was they kept forgetting, you called them a bunch of jerks lol. Overall were they good or bad.

You mentioned in the past on the thread 'cheesed off owner taking the p' that you struggled to get the bond back from Ray White for 3 months and their excuse was they kept forgetting, you called them a bunch of jerks lol. Overall were they good or bad.[/

Out of the two years only the last 6 weeks was bad, we we went through a spate of Ray White changing property managers, the seem to employ young ladies with career expectations, then they realise what being a property manager is all about and move on, our last property manager was a joke, this is where the problem started, my lease was coming up for renewal, previously the owner had tried to sell the house from under us while we still had tenancy, so when the lease was about 6 weeks away from renewal I asked them to renew, between the owner and the useless property manager I gave up, gave notice & left, then due to the useless property manager conveniently forgetting about the various stages of claiming for the bond return, it took forever, I think it was deliberate because I gave her a hard time over renewing the lease.