What's the best swimming club?

Lou8670

Ooooh exciting! I used to swim competitively Lou8670 so this was something I would be looking to get into more when we move. Baby makes it difficult to get any exercise done these days however...well thats me current excuse!

Looking forward to hearing some responses...

It really depends where you end up living but you will be spoilt for choice. Swimming is huge here. I'm in the Western suburbs and have 5 50 metre pools (open and indoor) within ten mins away. They'll all run training sessions with squad groups. Beatty Park in west Perth was the pool for the Commonwealth games in the 60's and has just been renovated (they have a great area for kids). Challenge Stadium in Mt Claremont hosted the World Swimming championships in 1998 and has 3 50m pools I think as well as a diving pool. It has amazing facilities and it is where Eamon Sullivan - world record holder, trained. If you live North then there is Arena Joondalup, and there are aquatic centres SOR with 50 m pools too. I think Scotland has about 4 50m pools in the whole country so we are spoilt for choice. My gym, owned and run by the local council, has a 25m pool with squad sessions, the University of WA run squad nights and I am sure the other 4 Uni's will do the same and will be open to the community.

Don't worry - there will be a pool nearby that will meet your needs with a club for adults and kids!

Thanks Scot01. Swimming is such a big part of our families life it would actually have an influence over which suburb we chose to live.

Hubby came 4th in the World Masters last year and would be ranked no.1 in Australia for his age group/events so he wants to be training with a good club.

We've been having a look at results in Australia and which clubs the top masters swimmers come from in WA. Hopefully this will give us an idea but it would be good to hear from anyone with experience in swimming masters in/ around Perth.

• 4 months later...

I think we'll need something very close by with all 5 of our family swimming training every day. Couldn't be driving miles to a pool 2 or 3 times a day!

Hubbies going to train with the Rockingham Stingrays during our reccie in October as that's the closest club to where we're staying. :)

Lou

• 2 years later...

I don't come on here much now but I do get notifications if someone comments so here I am...I'm not sure if you want just a swimming club or a highly competitive club? There are lots of great clubs in Perth @LouLouSkippy. We ended up living by the beach in Secret Harbour and joined Rockingham Stingrays who train at the Aqua Jetty in Warnbro. The head coach Will Scott to really focussed on taking the club to the next level. We have at least 3 elite swimmers in the club and lots of promising youngsters. Two of our swimmers Holly Barratt and Tommy Sucipto are both going to the Olympics this year, we have a relatively new coach Stacey Harper who moved from a city club with her protege Tommy, and a new coach for the 10-12 year olds in Laura De Vergori who has come from the Dubai national swim team. Stingrays have now moved into the A division in WA.

Premierships are this weekend at HBF Challenge Stadium in Mount Claremount and all 3 of my kids will be competing. If you have a look at the Premiership divisions on Swimming WA's website you'll get an idea of the top clubs as they'll be in the A division, however, saying that lots of the Clubs in the other divisions are pretty good.

Hi, Thanks for coming back to me...I'm trying to get my head around the whole Australia swimming programme... My daughter who turns 10 this month swims in a competitive swim club over here..she is swimming and competing at county level but I not really sure how this relates to Australia swimming and if she will be up to Australia standards... She currently trains 9hrs a week with 2 land training sessions. I have looked at Arena swim club and West Coast.... But am confused as to what swim club will be right for her!! We are willing to travel as we currently travel 1/2 hour to her current swim club.. Any advice and help gratefully received. Thanks

Hi, Thanks for coming back to me...I'm trying to get my head around the whole Australia swimming programme... My daughter who turns 10 this month swims in a competitive swim club over here..she is swimming and competing at county level but I not really sure how this relates to Australia swimming and if she will be up to Australia standards... She currently trains 9hrs a week with 2 land training sessions. I have looked at Arena swim club and West Coast.... But am confused as to what swim club will be right for her!! We are willing to travel as we currently travel 1/2 hour to her current swim club.. Any advice and help gratefully received. Thanks

I think you're just going to have to wait until you get here and go and visit the clubs to get a feel for them. Sadly I don't think it's a decision you can make without doing that.

West Coast and Arena are really good Cubs and are both here tonight at Premierships in A Division. Swimming is all inclusive so I don't think you need to worry whether she'll be good enough. My eldest is 11 and he trains 5 times a week for an hour and half and has just started with the next squad where they also do an hour in the gym.

If you have a look at myswimresults.com.au you can see the swimming times for kids in your daughters age group.

If I were you decide where you want to live and which school you want your children to go to and then look at clubs as they'll definitely be one in the area; swimming is so big here!

My eldest has also gotten into surf life saving and loves it! He's gunning for gold at States this year in the swim and iron man.

When do you arrive? Do you have a date yet?

Edited by Lou8670

Thank you... Had a look at the results and it's relief to see that in her strongest stroke Breaststroke she up the top of the chart for a 10 year old!! Hoping to gain her some experience of swimming in a 50m pool before she arrives in Australia!! The plan is to move at the end of August... We have visas... Just need to sell our house!! We are looking at houses to rent in North Perth!!