Abn????????????

Lizzie

Hi everyone,

Me, my OH + 3 children arrive in Perth in 8 weeks time, can't wait. OH a builder in UK and will be looking for work SOR after Christmas. We're going to be staying in Baldivis area and are wondering if anyone can advise if there's any bricklaying work available, contacts etc... We have looked on Gumtree and there seems to be plenty of work, could just do with a few pointers. Also, going to apply for TFN as soon as we arrive, will he need ABN aswell?

Hi Lizzie,

We will hopefully be arriving shortly after xmas and have too been looking to settle in the Baldivis area. My husband works in construction and is a ceiling fixer. Sorry I haven't got any advice but will look forward to hearing replies on this thread. Good luck with your move xx

Many of the bricklaying jobs do require you to have your own ABN as you'll work as a contractor/sub contractor.

The reasons are summarised on the following page: http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/Working/Occupations/Pages/Bricklayer.aspx

"The Construction Training Council has indicated that the construction industry has a large number of big companies who employ staff to manage contracts. Tradespeople tend to be sub-contracted. A significant proportion of trades operate as small businesses (ie sub-contractors who tender for work). Each of the employees is often also a sub-contractor with their own Australian Business Number (ABN) as a mechanism for managing on-costs such as workers’ compensation, superannuation and other entitlements"