Applying for PR just to get employed.

Brianmew

Hi all,

I am a qualified Electronics Technician and served 12 years in the British Army in this trade. I have been in Rockingham area now for nearly 3 months and still have not got anywhere with regards to finding employment. The feedback I am getting is that no one wants to take on someone that is here on a WHV. I have now sent to have my skills assessed through TRA as an Electronics Instruments Trades worker for my Permanent Residency application. Will I be able to use this assessment to find work as I have also been informed that I also need to have my trade assessed through TRA also, which is $900!!

Most of the jobs I have been looking at (Electrical Instruments technicians) require a A grade license. I have been in touch with PEER in SA and they are currently assessing what I need to do to gain the unrestricted license as I do not want to pay $900 to TRA for them to turn around and say that I am only qualified as an Electrical fitter (Restricted license). This whole process is horrendous and from what I have researched, WA do not accept British Certificates as proof of any sort of competency. Also finding employment here is all about who you know. I am screwed both ways as I dont know a great deal of people here.

Any Help or advise on finding employment would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I think the problem is probably the visa, most people on a WHV and the employer can only employ you for 6 months, if they have an option of taking someone for 6 months and someone for longer they're probably going to choose the longer option unless the post is to fill a temp vacancy whilst someone is on leave for example. I'm not 100% sure, but having a positive skills assessment, may not open any doors for you - these skills assessments are for visa purposes and generally only provide proof to immigration that you have the necessary competency to apply for your visa.

I think the problem is probably the visa, most people on a WHV and the employer can only employ you for 6 months, if they have an option of taking someone for 6 months and someone for longer they're probably going to choose the longer option unless the post is to fill a temp vacancy whilst someone is on leave for example. I'm not 100% sure, but having a positive skills assessment, may not open any doors for you - these skills assessments are for visa purposes and generally only provide proof to immigration that you have the necessary competency to apply for your visa.

Thanks for the reply,

I do think you are right. I will wait to see what PEER say I have to do in regards to the unrestricted license. If I obtain this I will be able to transfer it to Western Australia Electrical Safety and hopefully see where I am from here.