visas, tests, applications and proccesses

chazhug

hey! just wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experience and proccess with migrating to perth. it appears there are so many different ways of getting out there but we dont know what is best for us right now. we are hoping to get some clues from other peoples experiences with visa applications, costs, sposorships, whether people took the perminant route or went for a temp visa?

All these things we are really unsure of.

Also is it worth getting a migration agency involved? is this costly, or could we do it all ourselves?

:smile2:

Hi there, you will find lots of useful information in various threads across this forum which will answer many of the questions going through your mind right. To give you a good idea, I would say to go to an expo in the UK and that will give you a flavour of the various options available. Experts are there and you can listen in on the seminars to help to narrow down the mine field of various visas. Once you have done this you can look on the immi website for more specific info and begin to make a decision on whether or not it worth you using an agent. Personally speaking with paid £100 for an interview with the immigration group in chester and they answered all of our questions, pointed us in the right direction... and then to be honest we completed the application ourselves. Horses for courses though and lots will depend on the complexity of your own situation. All the best, enjoy the adventure!

have a look a http://www.migration.wa.gov.au and you will find the list of occupations that Western Australia will sponsor (schedule 2 next to the occupation means a job offer is needed first) for the 190 permanant visa or the 489 regional provisional visas. Also try http://www.immi.gov.au which has the main skills list (SOL) for the 189 independant and lots of other info, I suggest the visa wizard to find out if you are eligible for any visas.

If you qualify for a visa and have enough points then generally the process goes:- 1st skills assessments, 2nd IELTS, 3rd Expression of interest(EOI), wait for an invite then lodge the main visa application.

Some use an agent and some don't, research is the key if going it alone.

Go to a registered migration agent for advice. They'll be able to tell you what your options are to a degree but be aware that if you have a niche job they may not be able to identify the most appropriate role on the SOL for you. It is a good start point though and, as Zebradeb says, this forum contains a wealth of info.

have a look a www.migration.wa.gov.au and you will find the list of occupations that Western Australia will sponsor (schedule 2 next to the occupation means a job offer is needed first) for the 190 permanant visa or the 489 regional provisional visas. Also try www.immi.gov.au which has the main skills list (SOL) for the 189 independant and lots of other info, I suggest the visa wizard to find out if you are eligible for any visas.

If you qualify for a visa and have enough points then generally the process goes:- 1st skills assessments, 2nd IELTS, 3rd Expression of interest(EOI), wait for an invite then lodge the main visa application.

Some use an agent and some don't, research is the key if going it alone.

Hi nikkiwd, i was just looking at your signature and did you really get your application from start to finish done in the excess of 4 months? I keep being told 12-18month minimum, I'm an electrician so its not exactly the hardest process for them. Could you tell me what migrate agent you used, I'm very willing to use them if that's there time scale.

Thanks

Hi nikkiwd, i was just looking at your signature and did you really get your application from start to finish done in the excess of 4 months? I keep being told 12-18month minimum, I'm an electrician so its not exactly the hardest process for them. Could you tell me what migrate agent you used, I'm very willing to use them if that's there time scale.

Thanks

Hi Amason88, yes it was that amount of time but I spent January and February of that year trying to collect all the info for the TRA skills assessment. Hubby then failed the first one so we took a bit of a breather before re-applying but from this point it went quite quickly. We did not use a migration agent, we did it all ourselves. I did a lot of research to understand the process. I found the skills assessment the hardest bit though.

Hi Amason88, yes it was that amount of time but I spent January and February of that year trying to collect all the info for the TRA skills assessment. Hubby then failed the first one so we took a bit of a breather before re-applying but from this point it went quite quickly. We did not use a migration agent, we did it all ourselves. I did a lot of research to understand the process. I found the skills assessment the hardest bit though.

Yeah im trying to understand the whole process myself to be honest, im thinking about going thought an agent but then i wonder if they just take there time and if its worth just doing it all myself.

I'm still trying to get my head around the TRA to be honest it seems very complicated and expensive. if you fail do you then have to do it all again at the same expense? what was involved when he did the TRA?

Sorry about the questions. I'm just amazed that it took you that length of time when I'm being told a year and a half :(.

You should set up your own agent business haha.