Changing employment on a 457 (what are the implications~)

portia7224

Hi there

I am just wondering if anybody has any advice or have been in a similar situation. We have been here 5 months and my husband hates his job and isn't what it was supposed to be therefore he is looking into maybe finding alternative employment but there is the slight complication of the 457 visa and being tied to his employer. Before I start trawling the internet I wondered if anybody had previous experience of this?

Thanks for taking the time to read.

I think you have to find another sponsor and you have 90 days to do it. Check you will not be bonded to pay for the cost of sponsorship with your OH company. Thats what's messing me up with getting out of here! I'm stuck for 18 months or pay the bond of Sponsorship and relocation as well as the rental contract for another 7 months, expensive!

Good luck

You do have to find another sponsor within 90 days of quitting as plimthing says, which is not as easy as it sounds, if you do find someone willing to take you on, make sure they have the DIAC approval to be able to sponsor you before you quit as just getting the approval can take up to 90 days and only then can they start the process to get you a 457 which is normally quick if you are already here

It is not just a case of getting a new job. The new employer has to obtain a 457 visa which can take 2-3 months. If it were to happen there would have to be quite a lot of planning. A colleague I know actually did it, but his current employer agreed to keep him in work whilst his new company obtained the new 457 visa. It was not straight forward. And looking at the way Perth is going with regards to the job market and obtaining a 457 visa, I am not too sure if companies are willing to sponsor for a 457 as they previously were.