Midwives….help?! I am confused!

JenPen

Hello Fellow Midwives

Well I have finally finished my training :jiggy:

Just trying to start registering with APHRA - but noticed one of the requirements is 20 continuity of care cases….or you will have to undertake 12 months supervised practice etc etc - what does this mean? It states it will be harder to find employment because of this….

Now I have done caseloading as part of my degree but we didn't do 20!! We don't have anything else….I have done continuity from Antenatal to postnatal but not including labour and some I have done all 3 and some just labour to PN or AN to labour - but these are not written or signed or specifications of my training and didn't think it was an EU thing so bit concerned that this means I won't get registration or I will but with the condition of 12 months supervised practice?

Anyone know what I mean/can help…?

Thanks in advance wonderful people :wubclub:

Hi Jen,

i also saw this requirement and thought OMG!!!

However, it is a new thing they have just written into Australian midwifery students requirements and I don't see how they can ask for this to be 'proved' by English midwives who just wouldn't document such a thing. The fact our training requires certain numbers is written into the training transcript and they will see that. A midwife friend of mine just got her Ahpra through and did top up from nursing so didn't have anywhere near these numbers.

Ill be very angry if it's a problem for me considering that as a caseloading midwife in the UK I have a rolling 25 a year! But again, there is no real record of this because of confidentiality how would I evidence it?!

I think my problem is more likely to lie with the drug training stipulation.

Im applying this week so will keep you updated!

Beck

Thanks Beck!! It has made me panic - do they not want any Midwives from the UK anymore because this will limit our chances if so! I am very concerned. I don't mind jumping through hoops but if this hinders our chances then I will cry! haha! I will keep this thread update with information as and when I discover it so it will help other in future also!

Hope you get your Reg through all OK xxx

Hi Jen,

I applied to AHPRA back in April and i have just been told i can expect a decision regarding my registration within the next 2-3 weeks. I was asked to provide evidence of 20 continuity care experiences, however like your self i did caseloading as part of my training but not for 20 women. I had to write and explain about my caseloading experience and explain that it is not a registration requirement for midwives in the UK to have 20 continuity of care experiences.

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Codes-Guidelines-Statements/FAQ/FAQ-IQNM-midwives.aspx I was just reading some new information posted by AHPRA and unfortunately it does seem if i do get my registration i will have to undergo a period of 12 months supervised practice! I'm moving out to Perth in the next few weeks so when i start applying for jobs i will let you know how this effects employment prospects.

Nat x

Hi Jen,

I applied to AHPRA back in April and i have just been told i can expect a decision regarding my registration within the next 2-3 weeks. I was asked to provide evidence of 20 continuity care experiences, however like your self i did caseloading as part of my training but not for 20 women. I had to write and explain about my caseloading experience and explain that it is not a registration requirement for midwives in the UK to have 20 continuity of care experiences.

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Codes-Guidelines-Statements/FAQ/FAQ-IQNM-midwives.aspx I was just reading some new information posted by AHPRA and unfortunately it does seem if i do get my registration i will have to undergo a period of 12 months supervised practice! I'm moving out to Perth in the next few weeks so when i start applying for jobs i will let you know how this effects employment prospects.

Nat x

In your covering letter when applying for jobs, I would state something like:

that due to the changes to registration and the differences between Australian and UK practise of case loading it is a requirement that your practise be supervised for 12 months, however, as evidenced by your CV and selection criteria, you hope to demonstrate that you are an experienced and able practitioner who currently works autonomously in the UK.

Hi Jen,

Nat x

Thank you! Its crazy to expect us to have this. Maybe they'll change it again one day if all mws need supervision!

Good luck with it all xxx

• 1 month later...
Hello Fellow Midwives

Well I have finally finished my training :jiggy:

Just trying to start registering with APHRA - but noticed one of the requirements is 20 continuity of care cases….or you will have to undertake 12 months supervised practice etc etc - what does this mean? It states it will be harder to find employment because of this….

Now I have done caseloading as part of my degree but we didn't do 20!! We don't have anything else….I have done continuity from Antenatal to postnatal but not including labour and some I have done all 3 and some just labour to PN or AN to labour - but these are not written or signed or specifications of my training and didn't think it was an EU thing so bit concerned that this means I won't get registration or I will but with the condition of 12 months supervised practice?

Anyone know what I mean/can help…?

Thanks in advance wonderful people :wubclub:

Hi JenPen,

Congratulations on finishing the course!!! I'm in my final year at the moment and we are moving out to Perth next year once I qualify (I've got dual nationality and hubby is currently going through spouse visa process).

How did you get on with the case loading issue? I was also wondering how to get around this

x