Parent visa

Mark Beesley

Not sure anyone can help me? My family have been in perth for nearly 12 months now the question i need to know is we want my partners mum to move over here in definitely she meets all the requirements to get the parent visa, now is there a bridging visa you can get for a year so then we would be elegible to sponsor her? So then that will make it two years and we would be legible to sponsor her, we would then get temporary visa for 2 yrs then permenent. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

She obviously couldn't work and would not be entitled to any benefits.

Medicare would only be via reciprocal not full.

If health became and issue in the waiting period and was later unable to pass the medical she would face having to leave.

Could be issues with pensions

People do, do this, but I recommend speaking to an agent. Alan at Go Matilda would be a good option as he also has expertise in the financial side such as pensions. In theory, she could come out now on a 600 visa which is valid for a year, then, you would have the 2 years necessary to sponsor. Then lodge on shore and get a bridging visa. The advantage being as well that she would not have committed too much and started the very expensive side of things for a year. Gives her chance to actually get a feel for living rather than just holidaying. Important, as I have met a fair few people that have gone as parents and hate it but feel trapped - it is a big thing for older people to give up all they know and friends.

Only if the visa is granted with a no further stay condition. That is a risk though with any tourist visa. They seem to apply it randomly. So, any on shore application would have the issue. Be aware that the bridging visa would have the same conditions as the tourist visa and plan for blow outs in the processing time - I remember it was only a couple of years ago and these were all being done in well under a year. Now it is up to 18 months +