Citizenship Processing Time Perth – Long Wait for Citizenship Test

Ozman1986

Hi, your help on this would be much appreciated. I am eligible to apply for Citizenship on 24/April/2017 and I intend on travelling the USA for 20 months commencing on 26/November/2017. I’m looking to get my citizenship sorted before I head off and that gives me 7 months to complete the citizenship process. I intend on returning to Australia for good once finished travelling.

I am based in Perth and my concern is that currently it’s taking people average/approximately 8 months to get citizenship from start to finish – it’s taking some of my mates 4-5 months to get the citizenship test alone in Perth city.

I’m not too concerned about the period between passing the test and the ceremony. My main concern is the waiting period between the date I apply online and the date I do the test. I am wondering if I did my test in a lesser populated migrant area (rural WA) would it speed up the process of getting the test done? I was thinking somewhere like Albany, WA?

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. John

Hi applied for both mine and hubby in August last year. Hubbys test was in Nov mine Jan. We are still awaiting date for ceremony we think possibly May. I contacted our local council citizenship office regarding this was told April was full so that was out. They contact you about 4 weeks prior to ceremony date. It seems to be taking forever. The citizenship ceremony time varies from each suburb council. This is our time line yours maybe less or more. I know friends of ours submitted their application in Feb their test are in July and August. Good luck.

We applied for citizenship August 2016, we did the citizenship ceremony on 26 Jan 17, all went really smoothly, you can only do the ceremony in the council area you live, if you do want to change area it gets complicated as the two councils involved have to talk to each other and agree to take you, this can delay things even further, some councils will do a special sitting in extraordinary circumstances, the council can not invite you in until they have the conferral letter from Canberra.