Jobs/life in perth

Woj

Hi

I have posted a few questions here before. And if possible, will throw another one out if its not too much of a problem.. :)

My wife and I have just returned to to Poland from Oz a week ago. My better half has had her partner visa granted, which means that she will be able to work legally in Australia. I am a citizen, who has moved out of Australia back in 1993 - so quite a while has past. Even when I lived before, I was in Sydney, a place I know I would not want to live again. Too busy for my liking. We, with 2 small children (aged 7 and 3,5) are looking for a laid back lifestyle, in a place where we will feel safe and be able to spend quality time.

Our time in Iz now was a bit in Sydney but mainly on the sunshine Coast - Queensland. Honestly? We absolutley loved the SC! First in Mt Coolum and the Mooloolaba. The laid back lifestyle wa sgreat, only question will be work possibilities. SC is an area with a popullation of about 350 000 - not much, and where there arent much people, then there wont be as many job opportunities as in a bigger city.

How is life in a place like Perth? There are a lot of pros and cons, but have never ad the chance to even visit. From what I read its more laid back than other major cities. Very family orientated. Safety is a question mark (but I guess all areas have their "good" and "worse" suburbs?..). Also good ting s the humidity - its more dry, which means that when it hits 35 its not a pain in the butt. Wheras a 35 on the sunshine coast hwere you get humidity of 80 is tiring..)

What about work? Im a tennis coach and have an EMS studio here for personal training - something which would like to get into when in Oz. My wife would probably be looking for something in office work maybe? She has experience in that and also retail.

Whats the situation with work in Perth? Is it easy to find a job? Or has the mining downfall taken a lot of other job opportunities with it?

Any opinions kindly seen. We plan on making the big move around September of this year. We need to sell up all that we have here before we pack our bags and fly to Oz..

Woj

We loved sunshine coast to an extreme. We are worried though that jobs there mite be hard to come by, allthough I am sure that a job in retil or anything of a similar sort for my prettier half will become available sooner or later. And heres a brain squeezer for ya... with two kids we are considering sunshine coast, where we loved, ar go full into teh risk factor and even give Perth a try (have even considered Adelaide, but fromw hat I know its also difficult with work..).

So I see any place is good as long as a job can be landed, full stop...

Hi Woj,

I have recently moved to Perth from Sydney to be closer to my daughter (3) after travelling back and forward a good bit for a couple of years. Jobs are tough to come by but I can't talk to your specific industries. There have been a lot of people leaving Perth in recent years, either to go East or overseas. The general feedback I have had is that it has been a really tough few years but there are some green shoots starting to appear. Have a look at seek and other recruitment websites for your industries. Perth is a boom and bust type of town.

The silver lining is that the property is a lot more affordable now, both to buy and to rent (some bargains available on break leases). Very much a buyer's/tenant's market. Lifestyle is very family friendly. Perth has excellant beaches (& plenty of them) with well maintained parks, playgrounds bbq areas etc. The weather is generally good, summers can be hot (mid to high 30's, even early 40s) but generally dry (although feb 2017 was unusually humid for a few weeks). Winters tend to be mild enough. It can get cold once the sun goes down and overnight. You may get 18-20 during the day but the difference is that the tempertures can change quite quickly. It could be 20 during the day and then drop to 8/10 overnight. It actually feels colder as the houses aren't insulated well. Perth is fairly easy to get around with good roads but you do need a car, particularly with young kids. Apart from property, it is expensive particularly for things like going out for a few drinks, meals, coffee etc. IME it's probably 15-20% more expensive than Sydney.

So if it is a long term lifestyle choice, it is a great option but bring as much cash as possible and to cover you through periods of unemployment (potentially long periods). Hopefully things continue to improve, (there is a general feeling that they are very slowly starting to turn up again) and will be better by the end of the year. Before you move your family here though, I think it would be worth doing a visit to reccie the place, you may love it or hate it.

Hope this helps

Edited by Collie