Contracting - IT(SAP)

Guest NeilEB

Guest NeilEB

So I spoke to a recruitment agent (putting out feelers), and he suggested that I look at contracting - at least for the first 6 months as it's easier to get a job, and it pays better.

It's something I've always been interested to do, but never had the confidence to do it in the UK whilst I've had a mortgage.

Moving to Oz seems like a decent time to take the plunge.

Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of about contracting in Oz? I assume I would get no paid holidays, or sick pay etc.

Yep - same as the UK - you get paid a lot more - but you have to factor in the holidays, insurance etc etc. You will have to pay super - it's not a choice. But contracting is almost the same in Oz as it is in the UK. And if you find somewhere you really like - you can always ask to go permie.

I'm envious - I wish I had some SAP on my CV. Go and enjoy!

Guest NeilEB
Yep - same as the UK - you get paid a lot more - but you have to factor in the holidays, insurance etc etc. You will have to pay super - it's not a choice. But contracting is almost the same in Oz as it is in the UK. And if you find somewhere you really like - you can always ask to go permie.

I'm envious - I wish I had some SAP on my CV. Go and enjoy!

Cheers - it hard on UK these days as the market is so saturated, one of the driving reasons to give Oz a go really.

Unfortunately I don't have much config experience which is a real problem in the UK, as no-one is willing to train (simply, there's no need due to the saturated market).

It's a bit worrying that SAP roles aren't on the SOL anymore, but I can always go for Business Analyst roles.

Oh, and insurance? What's that about? Or do you mean medical insurance? I guess most firms offer health insurance for their perm staff?

I still dont get Super - is that basically the equivalent of a pension? Or is it more like National Insurance over here? How much is it? Don't most firms offer this as part of the salary ($90k + SA for instance)? I guess not for Contracters

Neil , Most staff are permenent full time , permenent part time or casual ..or self employed ( ABN No required you pay your tax , super etc holidays , sick pay ) .. the first 3 the emplyers have to pay super its law it is a pension sheme that you choose ( ie company .. ) and it gets paid into that quarterley , half yearly and anually.. then the employers pay your tax as well , unless you are self emoployed .. but unlike the uk everyone( even if your not self employed) has to fill in a tax return by October every year ( so off you pop to the nearest accountants or you can do it online, we use HR Block they are every where . ) save all your receipts etc this is a whole different ball game there is so much you can put forward in some cases its just finding out what, also casual get super and tax but no sick pay or holiday ...

http://australia.gov.au/topics/economy-money-and-tax/superannuation

https://abr.gov.au/abrweb/default.aspx?pid=90&sid=10&outcome=15&scripting=true&cookie=true

Hi - I usually have some form of salary protection insurance when contracting, just in case you break a leg or something and can't work. Plus Health insurance is good, as if you do get sick, you'll want to be treated fast as lost time is lost money. Contractors generally don't take much sick leave. You'll drag yourself in regardless if you're not getting paid.