highland boy moving to oz in december need information please.

Guest mark macdonald

Guest mark macdonald

Hi,

my name is mark macdonald im from fortwilliam (HIGHLANDS) scotland.I would like to know if there is alot of work for my trade (carpentry,joinery) in perth region?.I have also been looking at mining courses to do on a couple of sites which are based in perth as my friend lives there and that is the road he has gone down.I have applied for a year visa with the prospect of gaining sponsership to better my life out in this lovely country,i would just like to get all information i need before i get there so i am very well prepared to get stuck in straight away.Thank you very much for your time and patients and i really hope somebody could give me a guiding hand on this journey for me.mark macdonald

Hi,

my name is mark macdonald im from fortwilliam (HIGHLANDS) scotland.I would like to know if there is alot of work for my trade (carpentry,joinery) in perth region?.I have also been looking at mining courses to do on a couple of sites which are based in perth as my friend lives there and that is the road he has gone down.I have applied for a year visa with the prospect of gaining sponsership to better my life out in this lovely country,i would just like to get all information i need before i get there so i am very well prepared to get stuck in straight away.Thank you very much for your time and patients and i really hope somebody could give me a guiding hand on this journey for me.mark macdonald

Not much chance on a working hol visa mate , to get to the mines you will need about $5k for tickets and most require experience ir perm res

cash would not be a problem but the courses i go on would that not give me some experience to get my foot in the door?

You need to get a perm res visa , working hol visa not much chance of work up north , takes ages courses and applying and they want long term

Guest mark macdonald

i am a carpenter/joiner to trade so where in oz do you think would be the best place to get a job and go down that road for sponsership? thank u for this info so far

Guest scottishkiwi

Hi Mark,

Where there's a will there's a way! I'm not sure on visa stipulations for mine jobs but I do know that my son got a job on the mines a day after arriving in Perth. Mind you, although we're originally from Scotland we are now NZ'ers and entitled to live and work in OZ. He did have to do a few courses, some the company paid for, some he paid for. It took a month to get all the paperwork and courses under his belt but he is loving his work on the mines. Good luck with it all, Mark.

Guest mark macdonald

thank you my friend.yeh i have a very strong will and am very determined to make this happen and work very hard in the process.thank you once again.

Guest scottishkiwi

Hey Mark, I have no doubt that you will. My son had the same determination and really pushed himself forward even before he arrived in Perth, hence he had an interview set up even before he got there! I'm sure you've seen all the mining sites on the net. Be careful as some of them are scams and just want money from you.

Good Luck my fellow Scottie :)

Hey Mark, I have no doubt that you will. My son had the same determination and really pushed himself forward even before he arrived in Perth, hence he had an interview set up even before he got there! I'm sure you've seen all the mining sites on the net. Be careful as some of them are scams and just want money from you.

Good Luck my fellow Scottie :)

Good luck but you need a visa fact , working holiday visas are for 12 months to extend it you have to go fruit picking etc for 3 months for an extra 12 months , best option go for state sponsorship as a chippy to get permanent residency

Guest mark macdonald

scottish kiwi,could you possibly when you have time over the next few months ask your son what the best options there are for me(what companies to look for that i would have a good chance with and what courses i should do?) it would be a great help.My friend as i said is out in perth working aswell but its good to get more information from you also.I appreciate your help so far and i hope you will continue to provide me with info.thank you very much. cant wait to get away from this lovely rainey weather we have ha ha.mark

Guest mark macdonald

thanks goat,if i went fruit picking for the first 3 months would that give me an extra 12 months visa? if so this could be better option as it would give me 21 months to get myself started which would be great.looking forward to your reply thank you.

Guest Har00n

Thought i#'d chip in just to say good luck mate.

Im a Scot myself, born and raised in glasgow, and am planning to head over in July.

Although not in the same trade as you, i wish you the evry best in getting out tthere.

You sound like you have your head screwed on right... i'm sure this is gonna happen for you.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HeatherHighlander

Hey Mark,

I am also from the Highlands (near Tain) and am moving to Perth later this month. My husband is a mechanical fitter and he got work in Perth no bother with an oil company when he was on a working holiday visa. He went there and got a job plus a sponsor within two months. Depends on the trade of course, but they are crying out for tradesmen in Western Australia, so you will get a sponsor no bother. We know an Irish guy who is a sparky and he got sponsored quickly on a working holiday visa too. There's LOADS of Scottish people in Perth working in the mines and offshore, so you will have likeminded company. Good luck and all the best to you. Let us know how you are getting on.

Guest mark macdonald

thank you for your reply,i have not recieved my visa yet but i have 12 months to enter the country when i do,so im going to use most of that time to save up more cash then head over.i would really appreciate it if you would keep in touch with me and see how you and your partner is getting on.i am a carpenter/joiner to trade.cant wait to get there.talk soon and thank you again.

Guest mark macdonald

thank you heather,yeh i am a carpenter/joiner i am going to use the 12 months i have to save up more cash before i go into oz so i can get a place and just job hunt and find the rite job.please keep in touch and i wish you all the best in oz.mark macdonald

Guest scottishkiwi

Hi Mark

I'm happy to help in any way I can. I'll send you a PM with my email on it and some more info. I'm sure my son will be able to give you advice too. We'll be there by the end of the month OMG! It sounds soooo scary to say that! My hubby hasn't got a job secured yet either but he also wants to get work in the mines. One thing I do know s that most companies won't entertain you until you have your feet in Perth soil! This was the case with my son, he had been ringing them all non stop and they said 'ring me when you get here'. He did and was having an interview on day 2! check your PM's

Guest martywilk

hi mark , can,t help much about the mines , however carpenter and joiner , i can i,m now one of those again after leaving a building surveyors position in the u.k ,,mark the money for :cabinet making : is pretty poor $21 -$27 per hour , they do not have carpeneters like you and i , i.e can do anything ...they have roof carpenters etc each a trade of there own . i pushed for a position in management at a large firm and pull $42 per hour but i bloody earn it , done this for nearly 2 yrs now and had enough applied for many many other jobs and got them but the money never matched so ended up turning them down , re the mines they dont pay good money for nothing and easy to get fed up i have been told re the dust and heat cost of renting/ living v high in karatha etc , p.s i move back to uk in next 6-8 weeks got my old job back as building surveyor ..

Guest Michael

Hi I am from Scotland as well but been living in New Zealand for the past seven years working as a self employed Hard Landscaper but with the recession Iam struggling to make a wage. So me and my family decided a couple of months back to make the decision to move to Perth as soon as the house sells I was reading the post about jobs in the mines could any body give any advise about the course you take to get in to the mines I take it you sit your heavy goods. Does this give you a guaranteed job in the mines.

Guest mark macdonald

hi,michael, i have been told to look into the courses you need then when you get there sit them and look for a job but i am gathering every bit of info i can of all these great people on this forum.just ask about you will get the info your looking for.take care and good luck.

Guest scottishkiwi

Hi Michael, I too am Scottish and have been living in NZ for 16 years,. We are pretty much leaving for the same reasons as yourself. My husband is an industrial electrician and hopes to work in the mines. If you are wanting to get in as an operator you will at least need to sit your HR (heavy rigid) and there are lots of training places where you can sit this. There are other things too but it depends on what the companies want. My son had all the equivalent certs from NZ but they weren't recognised in Aus. He sat them and got a good job. From his experience, and what my husband has discovered while trying to get a job at this end (nz). Most companies won't entertain you ntil you are there. However, as you will know, every man and his dog is going to WA to try and make a decent living as there are lots of big projects going on in the resource industries. Are you a NZ citizen? If so, you can just go and try it. That's one good thing at least. Good luck and keep in touch.

Guest Michael

Hi thanks for the reply's yes I have NZ citizenship so it makes it a lot easier for us to come over. Me and my 19 year old son are looking in to working in the mines and my wife is looking for social work jobs I will keep looking for info on the net then weigh things up.

Thanks Michael.