Jobs in the mines

Guest The Newlands

Guest The Newlands

Out of curiosity does anyone know about working down the mines? Is it easy to get into?I hear it's good pay, but hard work!! Any info much appreciated Cheers John

There are jobs in mining, but most are for skilled staff and in particular people with experience are in high demand. It is possible to get in without doing things such as truck driving and many companies will put you through the required tickets for that. However, be aware that it is incredibly boring work. You drive a truck at 5km an hour up a spiral, dump it and drive back down. Lots of staff turnover as a result and while the pay can seem good, by the hour its not that great - 194 hours in 2 weeks then a week off. Also, bear in mind you will be away from family a lot more than you are home.

• 2 months later...
Guest beka n anto

there is all different kinds of rotas you can do 5 weeks on 3 weeks off fly in fly out..most mining companies go to the expos and some can even get jobs from there, i think it depends on what you want to get out of it and alot of people work there all their lives, my aunt is a lorry driver in the mines near perth, she started out as a chef in the mines then heard how much money they were on and switched... there is alot of jobs as unskilled workers, basically like a labourer on a building site..

there is all different kinds of rotas you can do 5 weeks on 3 weeks off fly in fly out..most mining companies go to the expos and some can even get jobs from there, i think it depends on what you want to get out of it and alot of people work there all their lives, my aunt is a lorry driver in the mines near perth, she started out as a chef in the mines then heard how much money they were on and switched... there is alot of jobs as unskilled workers, basically like a labourer on a building site..

It's not that easy . Go to the mining training firms for your tickets , there's about 10 times the applications for jobs

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-31.632014,115.702630

Hi

I wouldnt say it was easy, the jobs are in demand due to the high salaries. I used to work in HR for a huge mining company, and the staff turnover is very high due to the demands of the job and the pressure that it can put on family life, but there are always people waiting to fill the positions.

I would contact a few agencies and put the feelers out, try and meet a few people that already work in the mines....a lot of the time its who you know!