HELP - Australian Skills Assessments

Guest SueRich

Guest SueRich

Hi All,

Just a quick query as to whether anyone has used the Australian Skills Assessment to gain the AQF qualification?

My OH is a tiler and has many years experience but unfortunatley no qualification. We have been looking into the possibility of him completing an NVQ 3 - The cost of this is approx £1000 and can take approx 6 months to complete. Then I came across the Australian Skills Assessment website which talked about gaining the AQF. The cost of this was nearly £2000 but only takes approx 2 months to complete (according to the website).

I would love to hear from people who have used this company to gain their AQF and your experience. Would you recommend them?

Also, is there something i'm missing as it all sounds to easy?!? You complete a form, attach lots of evidence, have an interview and then get your qualification!!! Right?

Help and advice need please!

Sue twitcy.gif

Hi All,

Just a quick query as to whether anyone has used the Australian Skills Assessment to gain the AQF qualification?

My OH is a tiler and has many years experience but unfortunatley no qualification. We have been looking into the possibility of him completing an NVQ 3 - The cost of this is approx £1000 and can take approx 6 months to complete. Then I came across the Australian Skills Assessment website which talked about gaining the AQF. The cost of this was nearly £2000 but only takes approx 2 months to complete (according to the website).

I would love to hear from people who have used this company to gain their AQF and your experience. Would you recommend them?

Also, is there something i'm missing as it all sounds to easy?!? You complete a form, attach lots of evidence, have an interview and then get your qualification!!! Right?

Help and advice need please!

Sue twitcy.gif

Hi Sue it is as easy as that and the and the guys on the other end are great, they just ask questions on your trade and its so laid back its not like an interview at all. good luck.

Ali.

p.s my oh says to check online the australian standard of finish this they may ask about.

Guest SueRich

Thanks for that - That's really helpful. I was hoping it would be as easy as it sounded but just wanted to check as every other part of the process seems so hard!

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya

My OH is a tiler also and just did his AQF through Skills assessment Au. You will need to cover 4 years of work experience which for us was a nightmare as OH is self-employed so pretty much every week for 4 years had to be covered my head was wrecked with the form! We also sent photos and video of OH tiling and work he'd done on a mem stick. When you get references from people make sure that they state that it was wall & floor tiling (stupid I know but it has to be specific). Will be much easier if! your OH has been working for someone. But it's doable! My OH was really nervous about the interview as he's never done a formal interview in his life, but it was fine the guy who did it was really nice. We are just waiting for an email with the AQF to come any day now!

If you have any other questions just ask

Carmel

Guest SueRich

Thanks Carmel,

Does your OH have an NVQ? We weren't sure whether my OH should do an NVQ or AQF. Will we get 10 points for the AQF on the points test?

My OH has been self-employed for approx 8 years and has worked for contractors who could give references. He now has a limited company so we have lots of photos etc from the past couple of years because he is always taking pics to update his website. Although it will probably be a pain in the bum we should be able to get some stuff together.

We are hoping to move to Perth. Where abouts are you moving to? Have you heard whether there is alot of work available in Oz?

Sue

Thanks Carmel,

Does your OH have an NVQ? We weren't sure whether my OH should do an NVQ or AQF. Will we get 10 points for the AQF on the points test?

My OH has been self-employed for approx 8 years and has worked for contractors who could give references. He now has a limited company so we have lots of photos etc from the past couple of years because he is always taking pics to update his website. Although it will probably be a pain in the bum we should be able to get some stuff together.

We are hoping to move to Perth. Where abouts are you moving to? Have you heard whether there is alot of work available in Oz?

Sue

Hi Sue

My OH had no trade papers at all and it would have taken too long to get them over here (we're Irish), so we stumped up the cash and got it done. My OH sub-contracts too but we still had to come up with that may weeks of jobs, luckily my OH had done a few apartment blocks and housing developments which took up big blocks of months but then with single houses and bathrooms that only take a week - pain in the bum! I'd start thinking now about jobs any old ones you don't really have to prove that they are within the time frame. and start trying to get up to 4 years that is the hardest part of it all if you pm me your email address I will send you a pdf of the application form we had to fill out so you can get a handle on it and have an idea of what you need.

Yeah as far as I know its 10 points cause its an Oz trade qualification. We want to go to Perth too hoping to apply for state sponsorship as soon as these trade papers get here!

Carmel

Guest SueRich

Hi Carmel,

Thanks for your help. I have sent you my email address. We are looking at regional sponsorship in wa as I don't think we will have enough points with just the state sponsorship so possibly looking at the Mandurah area. Been trying to find out how much work there is available - Had some email conversations with some contractors who said to contact them when we arrive but can't guarantee my OH any work.

Thanks again for all your help.

Sue

Thanks for the papers Carmel.

My OH has just turned 32 so we need to apply for our visa before August next year in order to get the 30 points for age. We're hoping to get everything in place and apply before 1st July because from what I understand the system changes again! If we apply for 475 (regional sponsorship) my OH would not have to complete ILETS as we would just have enough points. I don't think he would cope too well with the ILETS.

Thanks again, and let me know how he gets on with the AQF.

Sue x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,just reading about the skills assessment and am wondering,do you have to take a practical skills test or is it just an interview? i read somewhere that it was a days practical test in london! i'm a cabinet maker so possibly it's different.thanks.Darren

Hiya

My OH is a tiler also and just did his AQF through Skills assessment Au. You will need to cover 4 years of work experience which for us was a nightmare as OH is self-employed so pretty much every week for 4 years had to be covered my head was wrecked with the form! We also sent photos and video of OH tiling and work he'd done on a mem stick. When you get references from people make sure that they state that it was wall & floor tiling (stupid I know but it has to be specific). Will be much easier if! your OH has been working for someone. But it's doable! My OH was really nervous about the interview as he's never done a formal interview in his life, but it was fine the guy who did it was really nice. We are just waiting for an email with the AQF to come any day now!

If you have any other questions just ask

Carmel

Hi Caz,

Just to let you know that we went to the expo today. Unfortunately I didn't get chance to speak to an agent because it was so busy but a guy from Immigration2Oz (agency) gave a talk about visas and he did mention 3 years post qualification experience. I am in the process now of trying to decide which agent to use and then I can go through all my questions with them. Can't believe the TRA haven't got back to you yet!

Sue

Well TRA finally wrote back to me and referred me to the website where I eventually found that it says you need 1 year pre and 3 years post qualification! So I suppose that's that route closed! The way work is going over here we won't be able to prove 3 years experience cause there's so little of it!!!! Back to the drawing board and try to get a job!:arghh: So frustrating

Hi Caz,

I have contacted a couple of agents and one of them has said that he is waiting for an update re: can you claim experience pre-qualification. Looks like you know more than the agents do at the moment! However, he has also recommended that if my partner was to consider getting a qualification then he would recommend the AQF rather than the NVQ. I'm going to wait for his response though first - Don't want to waste any money on an AQF is it's not going to get us anywhere.

Also, please can you post a link to where you found the info on the TRA website as I can't find anything!

Hope everything gets sorted. Have you made any arrangements yet for your partner to go to Oz and seek sponsorship?

Sue

Found it - God knows how many times I have read that document but yes it does state "You must have spent 3 years working in your occupation after you were awarded your qualification"! Not looking good for us now...