Tax actually does seem to be quite taxing

Guest Black Pear

Guest Black Pear

Hi all,

Just trying to work out some budget figures for what we can spend per month on things like car's, rent etc and I'm still not sure how much tax I will be paying which will obviously have a big impact on my calculations.

I will be on a 457 visa and the rates I have heard quoted on various different web sites and blogs start at 12% and goes up to 49%!!!

Can anybody help to put me right on this.

Cheers

Stu

If you're not lucky enough to get LAFHA check out the ATO (www.ato.gov.au) site. It has a basic calculator in it. For tax purposes you will be a resident, and if you have private medical cover you will not pay the Medicare Levy Surcharge. You will also get a 30% rebate on the cost of the private cover, although I don't count that and use the money for an additional holiday :) It is rough but in the right ball park if you are considering only Aussie based income.

Guest Black Pear

Thanks everyone,

Some good advice there, to be honest I'm hoping that I will be helped out and advised by my employer once I get to Perth (Which is hopefully in about 8 weeks......visa application permitting!!!) but it’s great that people who have gone through the same thing have given me the reassurance that it’s not the complete minefield that the English tax system seems to be.

Cheers

Stu