ICT Support

Guest Lotok

Hey Everyone

The migration agent I have been talking to said a 457 Employment Sponsorship is what I would need to move to Perth. I currently work in IT Desktop Support with some .NET and SQL skills as well. I am just finding my bearings here and trying to find out how in demand IT Support is in Perth. I was thinking I would send a letter/email and cv to many of the major companies to fish for an opportunity.

I have 7 years experience and an MCTS/MCITP for Windows 7 and an ITIL Foundation as certifications. Most of my experience has been for financial services companies although I dont feel the need to limiting myself to financial firms.

Has anyone else went over in the same way with an IT opportunity?

Many Thanks

I'm in a similar position. Take a look at seek.com.au for how many IT jobs are currently going in Perth. One thing I found last year was that no one I applied to/rang/tried to get an appointment to see was willing to give my application a look as (at that time) I didn't yet have a visa entitling me to work in Australia. You may have better luck, so don't let any snubs get you down!

Hey Phil

Did you eventually get a firm to sponsor you and employ you in IT Support? I see you are in Perth. It's all very early days here for me, I dont intend to let being snubbed put me off, not straight away anyway.

It was a case of having seen no progress on a non-employer-sponsored visa for 18 months that we came out to visit for a couple of weeks last year and try and get sponsorship. Unsuccessfully - but everyone we spoke to said "we'd love to hear from you when we get here, but we're not sponsoring at the moment". Once here, got multiple job offers straight away. Things may have brightened up a bit and you may find employers more willing to do sponsorship etc. Good luck!

Guest Guest4575

Hi folks - as someone who has just (TODAY!) had my 457 approval for a job in ICT.....can I also suggest the following? (sorry if some of this is motherhood and apple pie stuff!)

I too found applying for jobs on seek.com to be very frustrating, the lack of interest/reaction - too many candidates chasing too few posts maybe?

Do your research first, target a small number of firms who ARE prepared to sponsor

If you see an interesting opportunity on seek.com, even if they say "you must have the right to live and work...." - CALL them, and discuss - becuase they MAY still be prepared to sponsor a visa, for the outstanding candidate

Try to have some unique selling point that makes you more marketable and interesting - grab their attention!

Get out to Perth and NETWORK! I went out for 2 weeks in June - I met some companies and agencies face to face - and it WORKED!

Be careful - Perth is quite "small" - if you plaster your CV everywhere indiscriminately, you'll quickly establish a reputation, without anyone ever having seen you.

Be persistent, don't just send the CV and hope for the best - you HAVE to follow up!

Be selective - only apply for posts you KNOW you really want - the last thing a potential employer needs is someone who isn't committed to them.

Somehow, find a way to prove you are committed to coming to Perth. I already had my flights booked (10th October) even though I didn't have a job at the time! But it seems to have impressed them when they interviewed me on 20th September - the job offer came less than 24 hours later!

It can be very frustrating, but don't give up!

Very good luck to you, if there's anything I can do to help once I get to perth, please don't hesitate

Ian

Ideally I would be looking for an advanced 2nd line role with possibly some level of applications support or other responsibilities beside pure desktop support. Ofcourse, in my quest for a visa, I may settle for less than ideal!

If you hear of anyone sponsoring I would love to hear of it too!