General Builder from the UK....with a slight concern

The Kings

Hi All,

My wife and I are leaving the UK for Perth mid/ late March and will both be looking for employment as soon as we arrive. In the UK I have run my own small construction business for approx 9 years (employing 5 full-time staff) working on extensions/renovations predominately in the domestic sector.

I just wondered what demand there is in Perth and southern suburbs for a brickie/ multi-trade builder? I'm 34 and although I have lived in the UK for the majority of my life I am fortunate enough to hold an Australian passport so am not looking for sponsorship etc.

The impression I get from speaking to people and reading articles, qualifications are a MUST in Oz, whereas in the UK all you need is a van and some tools and that's it....you're a builder!!!!

I spent 2 years full time at college learning general building and bricklaying, but foolishly just a couple of months before graduating I left without gaining any qualifications in pursuit of ££££'s after receiving a job offer.

This has not held me back one bit in the UK and have built a successful and reputable business with an extensive portfolio of work but have concerns that without any papers to my name it may hinder my employment opportunities in Oz.

Any thoughts or comments would be gratefully received.

Dale

Guest Catnoehughes

Hi Dale,

There seems to be plenty of domestic building work around Perth alright but not sure what the requirements are for qualifications? I know it's pretty standard for the larger construction companies but not sure if the smaller domestic builders look for them or require them by law?

Maybe give some of the domestic builders a ring to see if they need anything?

Reading back over what I wrote, I can see it not much help to you ...

Cat

We are having a house built at the moment and there was a delay getting the drive layed because there was no one available, my OH went to look at the house on the way to work and the guy was there really early and said there was sooo much work he couldnt keep up with it. Im not sure about the other trades, but I have to say, that there is sooooo much building work going on here at the moment. New hospitals and shops and tonnes of housing. Our builders are all part of BGC which are the biggest building company in WA. Might be worth contacting them? Good luck :wubclub:

Guest themanns

Hi Dale,

My family and I have just received our permanent visas and looking to go out to perth in August(possibly Quinns rocks?) and look for building work. Im 32 and have had my own relatively small company going for 12 years now doing domestic groundworks i.e driveways, patios, foundations, etc so was hoping to work for someone doing the same thing as ive got the right tools. You are right about the tools and van. I did work on site for a large construction company when work was quiet (which it always seems to be) and had to pass an NVQ level 2 in constructiion operatives to work on that particular site. Not sure if that will help in Oz though.

I heard from a couple of people on the forum say that work was 'slow' in perth and say you have to try and work for the larger civil engineering companies ?? Not sure if this is right reading the more positive posts above. I have done my white card which is the health and safety test that allows you to work on the large construction sites if you need to which you can do online.

The thing is any new employer will be able to tell if you can do the job or not...experience is the main key I think. All the best with the big move hope it all works out for you.

Carl

Guest wayne&wanda

Hi Carl,

My husband has recently done his white card over here in Uk (were heading to Perth in August aswell). wondering if you had it posted to your UK address, if so how long did it take ??

Hi Dale,

My family and I have just received our permanent visas and looking to go out to perth in August(possibly Quinns rocks?) and look for building work. Im 32 and have had my own relatively small company going for 12 years now doing domestic groundworks i.e driveways, patios, foundations, etc so was hoping to work for someone doing the same thing as ive got the right tools. You are right about the tools and van. I did work on site for a large construction company when work was quiet (which it always seems to be) and had to pass an NVQ level 2 in constructiion operatives to work on that particular site. Not sure if that will help in Oz though.

I heard from a couple of people on the forum say that work was 'slow' in perth and say you have to try and work for the larger civil engineering companies ?? Not sure if this is right reading the more positive posts above. I have done my white card which is the health and safety test that allows you to work on the large construction sites if you need to which you can do online.

The thing is any new employer will be able to tell if you can do the job or not...experience is the main key I think. All the best with the big move hope it all works out for you.

Carl

Guest jeff100jeff

hi a am sort of in the same boat i run a small building firm over here ,i am 45 but luckey for me i did gain my c&g papers years ago as a plasterer,i want to go over this year but dont want to do plastering full time every day of the year ,how do you think you will find work to start up?

hi dale /builders , carpenters heading to perth

i run a business here in uk , kitchen supply and fitting, but i am a carpenter of 23 years too.

i have nvqs in carpentry and kitchen fitting, to be honest they are not worth the paper they are written on.

i did carpentry in uk for 19 years before i had to do the nvq to go to oz

the guy came out once a fortnight on site and watched me do a bit of work, and asked me to take pictures of work i did.

i could have taken pictures of the golden gate bridge and said id made it for all he cared.

same with the vetasses test, (build a hip roof on bench)

i have never done roofing in all my years.

i got a local roofer to show me what to do the week before the test, did it and now im a carpenter.

im looking for a partner when i get there , someone who can do roofing to oz standards, i think that a pair of roofers would never be out of work there, plus its easier in a pair especially if on price work!

or i may even set up my own roofing and building company, but again want to pair up with someone for the work im not too sure on.

if anyone is interested let me know my website is ashdalekitchenservices in uk on google

Hi All,

Firstly I just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone that replied to my original thread......some really helpful hints there of which I'm sure I'll use.

I was thinking of just rocking up in Perth and get in front of a few perspective employers and hope that my knowledge, experience, enthusiasm (and possibly a little charm:wink:) would land me a job, but now I'm thinking that there is nothing to loose and everything to gain by sending out my CV before I get out there.

With regards to the White Card time scale I'm not much help I'm afraid.....I've paid for it but am awaiting info back regarding taking the actual test.

Thanks again peeps!!

Guest themanns

Hi 'the kings',

Hope you get things sorted, Im not sure if you should have paid for your white card upfront cause I only had to pay for mine once I had completed it. I paid $65 + postage and had 120 days to complete it!! check out aveling.com.au. All the best

Guest themanns

Hi Jeff,

Basically if you worked on site in the uk you would need a CSCS card which is the health and safety exam you need to complete. The white card iis the equilavent in Australia. It was formerly known as the blue card in WA and was called something different in other states. You need this to work on site.

The white card is the same kind of card as our CscS card in uk it's a health and safety test. You do it online ,multiple answers, if you get it wrong you just do it again ,it's impossible to fail, if you type. Bulldog white ca

rd in google ,that's who I did mine with

Hi Dale,

Carl

Hi Carl, sorry to jump in on this builders thread ( being a plumber) ( yes I know we keep you guys in work and never sweep up)!!!!

im looking at Perth early next year, regarding the white card , do you know how long the expiry date s, do I need to do it towards the end of this year or is it worth doing it now so that I've got it.

thanks for any advise

ian

Guest Mandygolding

Hi

It isn't as easy for us Brits, my ex husband who had years of experience as a general builder could only get work as a brickie. He went on to study to be a 'site supervisor' that was 8 years ago, he now is one of the most successful supervisors in Perth! What we need is for a new breed of builder to start a company that actually gives Brits and newly qualified trades a break, my son has just completed his 'Wall & Floor Tiling' course here in Perth, however, he is now struggling to get work experience so he can complete his 360 hours needed. It's a nightmare if he doesn't complete these hours he'll be going home to the UK as he doesn't qualify to apply for graduate visa (he didn't immigrate with us as he was too old)!

So don't let anyone tell it's a walk in the park..... It's not.......PS anyone did a nearly newly qualified wall & floor tiler, please contact me!:biggrin: