3 older kids new to area

The Brownsx5

Hi, we have moved in Joondalup, and wonder what do all the kids do??? As we never see any about. Mine are boys 15, 12 & a girl 10. The boys are past the stage of playing in the garden. My daughter also would like someone to hang out with. We have been taking them tithe beach but everyone seems to stick to themselves. I am hoping school will help but that's a few weeks away yet :err:

This is the big family holiday time so many people go away. Lots of businesses close down for the Christmas period. Almost everyone I know is away or going away whether it is down South holidaying or abroad. 15 year olds can work so lots of the older kids take on summer jobs when they are not away on the family holiday. I use to book my sons into holiday activities - there's lots of sports things, surf lessons, nippers (life saving for children), swimming lessons run as well. Local library or council may have a list of things or look in the free newspaper for your area that comes out once a week. It will get better - people start coming back for Australia day on the 26th.

Its not just the area that you are living in. Been here a few months and every day i drive/walk past gorgeous parks that just dont seem to be used. Ive never seen kids out playing in the streets in my neighbourhood. Its such a shame as its a great way for kids new to the area to make friends. Agree with Sal though it does seem the norm for kids 14+ to get a little job

There is no real culture of kids playing in the street here - it is usually in someones back garden - in their pool or parents would take them off somewhere for a play. My kids would stay after school and play in the school playground, if they had friends over after school they'd play in the garden and their parents would come and pick them up later or I'd take them to a park and drop them off afterwards.

When we first arrived here in October we were in accommodation supplied by my OH's employer, there kids played in the street on skateboards and scooters and my 12 year old daughter went out and introduced herself to them and quickly made a few friends. Unfortunately since moving into our rental in Baldivis things have changed, there is no-one here playing out. She did manage to get into school for a few weeks before the end of term but she wasn't there long enough to get to know anyone properly. We have a park near us but all we see there are really younger children with their mums. Luckily she has met someone through Perthpoms and she is going to see her this week, which she is really looking forward to, but I wish she could get out a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...
When we first arrived here in October we were in accommodation supplied by my OH's employer, there kids played in the street on skateboards and scooters and my 12 year old daughter went out and introduced herself to them and quickly made a few friends. Unfortunately since moving into our rental in Baldivis things have changed, there is no-one here playing out. She did manage to get into school for a few weeks before the end of term but she wasn't there long enough to get to know anyone properly. We have a park near us but all we see there are really younger children with their mums. Luckily she has met someone through Perthpoms and she is going to see her this week, which she is really looking forward to, but I wish she could get out a bit more.

Hope all went well with the meet up :-)

Hi I stay in Carine (NOR). I have a 14 year old who has never looked back since he started school. I can meet up with you and your gang anytime if you want for a juice or even a wee vino. :-0. I know how hard it can be I've bee here 8 months nd I am still trying to find friends.

Hi I stay in Carine (NOR). I have a 14 year old who has never looked back since he started school. I can meet up with you and your gang anytime if you want for a juice or even a wee vino. :-0. I know how hard it can be I've bee here 8 months nd I am still trying to find friends.

Now that sounds good :-) Hubby back as from Tue till Mon so either we call all meet or leave it till he goes back. Whatever suits :-)

• 3 months later...

Well 5 months on and the story so far.

The kids have all made friends in school, which is really good. They have settled really well, and are happy and do not missed the UK though they do still miss close friends & family, but overall it has been a good move for them

​Time is a wonderful thing :-)