what can I claim back from Medicare on a 457?

Guest blonde_fish

Guest blonde_fish

my little girl (2) has had numerous medicines from the dr in the last few months and was wondering whether I would be able to claim any of the $'s back on them????

thanks x

my little girl (2) has had numerous medicines from the dr in the last few months and was wondering whether I would be able to claim any of the $'s back on them????

thanks x

These two links will get you to the answers.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements

hi do you have private health cover. we do with bupa and we can claim costs of prescriptions on that :o)

Elfie extract from the website link. It looks like all 457's need to provide health insurance as part of the application process and maintain it when here. Who would know if you cancelled it though on arrival? Of course people may not want to but does anyone check? Appreciate Private health insurance is all about risk, and if you afford it, unless mandatory as part of a visa requirement.

Do subclass 457 visa holders need to have insurance?

"If your subclass 457 visa was granted on or after 14 September 2009, you are responsible for health costs which are incurred in Australia by you and your accompanying family members.

From 14 September 2009 it is a requirement for visa grant that applicants have made adequate arrangements for health insurance for themselves and accompanying family members.You are required to maintain an adequate level of insurance cover for the duration of your stay in Australia."

Edited by StraighttothePoint

Uk has the medical reciprocal agreement with oz , the health insurance for the 457 is because previously it was the sponsors responsibility , but a lot put clauses in contracts to say the employee was liable. 457 s are fur all nationalities and most don't have the recip agreement

hi

yes i know that 457 visa holders are needed to hold private medical cover. but it appears a lot of people on the 457 get the cover to fill visa requirement then soon as they land in oz they cancel it ...................... on their heads be it.

i also take your point of it being checked and it looks like its not

hi

yes i know that 457 visa holders are needed to hold private medical cover. but it appears a lot of people on the 457 get the cover to fill visa requirement then soon as they land in oz they cancel it ...................... on their heads be it.

As I said 457 is for all countries , most don't have a medical reciprocal agreement with Australia therefore they can't access Medicare , therefore need health insurance , uk peeps have the agreement , example a friend on a 457 went back after a year , a year later they came back on a different 457, they sent copies of there Medicare cards with the apps and it was granted

As I said 457 is for all countries , most don't have a medical reciprocal agreement with Australia therefore they can't access Medicare , therefore need health insurance , uk peeps have the agreement , example a friend on a 457 went back after a year , a year later they came back on a different 457, they sent copies of there Medicare cards with the apps and it was granted

yes i know

but all people from all countries on a 457 need private health cover to comply with visa condition whether they are from a reprociprical agreement country for medicare or not

thanks x

If you have a medicare card - take the receipts to a medicare office, depending on the medicines you might be able to claim some money back.

457 visas have a 8501 condition that states that you need to have appropriate health cover for your duration of your stay in Australia.

Being registered to medicare satisfies the 8501 condition on the visa. But as you can not register to medicare until you are in Australia, you require appropriate health cover for the visa to be granted. But for example you were already in Australia and hold a medicare card when apply for 457 all you would need to show would be the medicare card and you would satisfy the 8501 for the visa to be granted.

"Being enrolled with Medicare under reciprocal health care arrangements is sufficient to meet the health insurance requirement at visa grant and to comply with visa condition 8501.

You can only enrol with Medicare if you are in Australia. If you have enrolled with Medicare you should provide evidence that you have been issued with a Medicare card as part of your application.

If you are overseas, you must arrange adequate insurance for your initial period in Australia and provide evidence of this insurance as part of your application. You may be eligible to then enrol with Medicare once you are in Australia. Being enrolled with Medicare is sufficient to comply with visa condition 8501."

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm

hi

This is incorrect, for UK residents , due to reciprocal agreement with Oz which provides access to medicare and basic healthcare provision. all that is required to satisfy the visa requirements is proof of medicare entitlement. while desirable to have private healthcare (especially ambulance cover) there is no need to have it to satisfy the visa.

your quote is mis leading as it is written for all nationalities - most of which do not have the benefit of a reciprocal agreement as UK residents do. those who are emigrating on a budget need to know their options / risks. private healthcare can be expensive for temp working visitors so please be aware it is desirable but not an essential if you are UK resident and apply for medicare.

This is incorrect, for UK residents , due to reciprocal agreement with Oz which provides access to medicare and basic healthcare provision. all that is required to satisfy the visa requirements is proof of medicare entitlement. while desirable to have private healthcare (especially ambulance cover) there is no need to have it to satisfy the visa.

your quote is mis leading as it is written for all nationalities - most of which do not have the benefit of a reciprocal agreement as UK residents do. those who are emigrating on a budget need to know their options / risks. private healthcare can be expensive for temp working visitors so please be aware it is desirable but not an essential if you are UK resident and apply for medicare.

Give it up mate I've tried explaining to the op , head and brick wall come to mind

• 2 months later...

We have just had our 457 visa granted, and being from the uk and the 'good old' reciprocal agreement is not enough to get your visa granted. We tried that and we were informed we require Private Medical Insurance or we don't get the visa, direct from the Oz Immi. We got Insurance, the next day we get 4x 457 visa's. I'm interested to know what cover we get should i cancel the insurance when i arrive in OZ (purely on financial grounds), any advice would be appreciated.

457 visas are a one on their own mate. Yes it seems you need to sign up for some sort of private healthcare to get here, but after that its up to you.

you don't need to have private, once here and signed up for Medicare then you can cancel, just look into it, it may or not be worth you having Extra insurance.