Now that the weather is getting cooler.....

Guest guest9824

Guest guest9824

Just wondered what tasty meals everyone cooks when the weather gets a bit cooler here in Australia. I like to use the slow cooker and make lovely casseroles or slow cook a leg of lamb in a bottle of red wine:wink:....Would love to hear some more lovely recipes from people. Puddings too, dont want to miss out on puds....I love poaching pears in red wine (now there is a bit of theme here, wondered if you have noticed:biggrin:) Goes down very well and makes the house smell like christmas ...happy days!

peax

Myself I love braising steak in the slow cooker, with dumplings served with mashed pots and carrots, cant beat a rhubarb crumble and thick custard mmmmmmmmmm or even a roast dinner with all the trimmings as I now have GRAVY BROWNING x 4 bottles ner ner dutifully fetched over by my sister when she visited. A lamb kelftiko also nice in slow cooker mmmmmmm stop it I now am missing my weeks in Greece ..............................

I've just been to the very excellent Frank's on Wray Ave, Freo and bought some Osso Bucco which I'll probably do tomorrow and just serve in the pan with hunks of bread and we'll pull it apart, soak up the beautiful juices with the bread and drink a few glasses of something special from Maggie River.

I also bought a belly of pork which I'll rub with fennel, salt and pepper and roast over our spit roaster in the al-fresco. That will be served with roasted roots.

When the weather gets colder we use our slow cooker a lot too and beef cheeks in port is a fave or goat biryani or slow roasted pork hocks. Jamie Oliver's Goulash is pretty special when it's cold too.

We're not really big on deserts, well I'm not anyway and I do most of the cooking so mrs portlaunay ends up buying cakes from La Vespa but TBH, when it's cold who wants a cake? I could go a sponge pudding tonight actually but that would mean an extra 30 minutes on the bike tomorrow. :sad:

We're trying to increase our veg intake and I loved the veggie tagine I made the other day.

I'm hungry now, maybe there's time for the Osso Bucco tonight.....

Guest guest9824
Myself I love braising steak in the slow cooker, with dumplings served with mashed pots and carrots, cant beat a rhubarb crumble and thick custard mmmmmmmmmm or even a roast dinner with all the trimmings as I now have GRAVY BROWNING x 4 bottles ner ner dutifully fetched over by my sister when she visited. A lamb kelftiko also nice in slow cooker mmmmmmm stop it I now am missing my weeks in Greece ..............................

sounds like just what the doctor ordered, wont be feeling homesick after that hey elfie? love a bit of crumble.....

Guest guest9824
I've just been to the very excellent Frank's on Wray Ave, Freo and bought some Osso Bucco which I'll probably do tomorrow and just serve in the pan with hunks of bread and we'll pull it apart, soak up the beautiful juices with the bread and drink a few glasses of something special from Maggie River.

I also bought a belly of pork which I'll rub with fennel, salt and pepper and roast over our spit roaster in the al-fresco. That will be served with roasted roots.

When the weather gets colder we use our slow cooker a lot too and beef cheeks in port is a fave or goat biryani or slow roasted pork hocks. Jamie Oliver's Goulash is pretty special when it's cold too.

We're not really big on deserts, well I'm not anyway and I do most of the cooking so mrs portlaunay ends up buying cakes from La Vespa but TBH, when it's cold who wants a cake? I could go a sponge pudding tonight actually but that would mean an extra 30 minutes on the bike tomorrow. :sad:

We're trying to increase our veg intake and I loved the veggie tagine I made the other day.

I'm hungry now, maybe there's time for the Osso Bucco tonight.....

Wow sounds wondeful, I cant wait for Mr Olivers place to open,and fairly reasonable prices too. Must admit i love a slow cooked ragu with fresh parpadelle, washed down with a glass of barolo or chianti.....yummmmmmmm. Like Elfie, I dont think you can beat a roast too, slow cooked girollo beef, (in red wine, nice merlot) mashed pots with horseradish (no i dont make it) and yorkshirepuds(yes I do make them). Salivating as we speak....:wacko:

Guest guest9824
havent come across a cooking apple here ?

Elfie I use Granny Smiths. Does just as well, sprinkle a bit of cinnamon on and brown sugar and bobs yer uncle!

pea:biggrin:

Guest pommybob

Oh yes! Get yourself a slow cooker and enjoy!

Oh yes! Get yourself a slow cooker and enjoy!

I have bob use it all the time never cook roast beef in the oven any more always slow cooker also lamb and pork do not cook chicken yuk its awful in slow cooker could not live without one slow cooker that is its a godsend

Just wondered what tasty meals everyone cooks when the weather gets a bit cooler here in Australia. I like to use the slow cooker and make lovely casseroles or slow cook a leg of lamb in a bottle of red wine:wink:....Would love to hear some more lovely recipes from people. Puddings too, dont want to miss out on puds....I love poaching pears in red wine (now there is a bit of theme here, wondered if you have noticed:biggrin:) Goes down very well and makes the house smell like christmas ...happy days!

peax

Do you have to mince the lamb first to get it in the bottle