Aupairs

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Does anyone hire an aupair as opposed to using a child minder? If so why did you choose an aupair? How do you find having someone else in your house? Which agency do you use?

Are there any aupairs out there that can help? I am moving as a single mum of a six yr old boy and wondered how it would work if working perm nights?

Tia

Debs

Thanks bindylou.

I have read that they work a certain amount of hours per week. If I work say 4 x 10 hour night shifts a week, and the aupair is at home with my son, does that mean they are working 40 hours. Even tough they are asleep for most of it.

Just looking realistically at all of my options.

Thanks.

Debs

I always used students for after school care - advertised at the local university. I paid less than a child care centre for my two sons to be picked up after school and looked after until I came home. As an overnight option, there is a real shortage of accommodation for students. We had a Japanese girl as a lodger, the overseas students are always strapped for cash, so I am sure if you offered accommodation at reduced rent but they have to do some babysitting as well you'd be quids in!

What about this for an option? There is a new scheme being introduced in WA where you can put up an asylum seeker in a spare room, for a payment to you of $50 a week from the government, and they will undertake home duties for you as part of the deal. Cheaper than an au pair and also helping the people themselves to settle into life here.

What about this for an option? There is a new scheme being introduced in WA where you can put up an asylum seeker in a spare room, for a payment to you of $50 a week from the government, and they will undertake home duties for you as part of the deal. Cheaper than an au pair and also helping the people themselves to settle into life here.

Pmsl! Nice one. Yeah I read about that!