travel insurance/medical cover when in oz and medicare

bwatt99

As we are moving to oz,i was wondering what insurance myself,baby and wife will need,what is recommended,i take we need this for when we travel, to cover us incase of any probs with flights and any of us getting ill or anything else,do you take it out just for the duration of the flight or say alter than this even when you are in oz?Do you then apply for medicare and then are sorted?

Ok i know there are private medical insurances/cover you can take out when your over there but i hear they are not really required?as you have medicare,also i believe you need ambulance cover also again is this something me,wife and baby can be covered for on its own?

Any info on this would be greatfull.

As in medicare when you first arrive and apply do they need your address what if you dont have a permanent address can i say use my cousin's address and then change it once i have a long term rental?

As we are moving to oz,i was wondering what insurance myself,baby and wife will need,what is recommended,i take we need this for when we travel, to cover us incase of any probs with flights and any of us getting ill or anything else,do you take it out just for the duration of the flight or say alter than this even when you are in oz?Do you then apply for medicare and then are sorted?

Ok i know there are private medical insurances/cover you can take out when your over there but i hear they are not really required?as you have medicare,also i believe you need ambulance cover also again is this something me,wife and baby can be covered for on its own?

Any info on this would be greatfull.

As in medicare when you first arrive and apply do they need your address what if you dont have a permanent address can i say use my cousin's address and then change it once i have a long term rental?

You are going to have a bloody heart attack before you even board an aircraft. FFS calm down will you. I can't help with travel insurance before you arrive, we didn't bother. Ambulance cover is an essential IMO and yes you can take it as a standalone. Medicare will take about 10 days to catch up with your arrival so don't bother registering until you have been here longer than a week. You can do it from a relatives address and then change it.