Claiming on Medicare

Guest Guest6235

Guest Guest6235

Hi, Were speaking to my parents friends on Skype last week who have lived in Rockingham for the last 40 years and they raised doubts for us regarding Medicare. They seem to think that you are required to have lived in the country for around 8 years and have contributed to Medicare to have a chance of claiming a percentage of any treatment costs. We thought you could just start living in OZ and start contributing straight away then if needed you were to make a claim after even a month or two you would be able to claim a percentage of the treatment cost. Can anybody shed any light on this subject. Thanks

Hi, Were speaking to my parents friends on Skype last week who have lived in Rockingham for the last 40 years and they raised doubts for us regarding Medicare. They seem to think that you are required to have lived in the country for around 8 years and have contributed to Medicare to have a chance of claiming a percentage of any treatment costs. We thought you could just start living in OZ and start contributing straight away then if needed you were to make a claim after even a month or two you would be able to claim a percentage of the treatment cost. Can anybody shed any light on this subject. Thanks

Your parents friends are wrong. If you have a valid visa you are able to sign up to medicare straight away.

We went over to Oz on an Exchange Visa a couple of years ago (teacher exchange). We took our Visa and passports to the local Medicare Office, and we registered there without any problem. My husband got ill, and had to go to the doctor, and we just claimed back the fee that he paid.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Keefo but if your parents have been in Rocky for 40 years then they are probably a bit older and detatched from reality :biggrin: Have they heard of Google :biggrin: They seem to be able to use Skype so they must know how to press buttons :biggrin: Seriously probably better doing your own reserach into some of the more complex issues. You are right and you can register for Medicare asap and off you go. Here is a link to Centrelink and in it you can go to Medicare and find out how it works. http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/information/centrelink-website?utm_id=7 Hope that helps a bit.

Oh and my mum still gives me a pound pocket money now and again and says don't spend it all in the one shop!! I am 55!!!!! :biggrin: Parents eh don't you just love them.

Guest guest9824
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Keefo but if your parents have been in Rocky for 40 years then they are probably a bit older and detatched from reality :biggrin: Have they heard of Google :biggrin: They seem to be able to use Skype so they must know how to press buttons :biggrin: Seriously probably better doing your own reserach into some of the more complex issues. You are right and you can register for Medicare asap and off you go. Here is a link to Centrelink and in it you can go to Medicare and find out how it works. http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/information/centrelink-website?utm_id=7 Hope that helps a bit.

Oh and my mum still gives me a pound pocket money now and again and says don't spend it all in the one shop!! I am 55!!!!! :biggrin: Parents eh don't you just love them.

:biggrin:...bet it's a pound note too....:wink:

pea

Guest Guest6235

Thanks for the replies, We were correct in our thinking then.

Straighttothepoint - It was our parents friends who live in OZ not our parents but yes you are correct they are in their 70's.

They seemed to think you can only claim back so much of the cost also.

Edited by Guest6235

Thanks for the replies, We were correct in our thinking then.

Straighttothepoint - It was our parents friends who live in OZ not our parents but yes you are correct they are in their 70's.

They seemed to think you can only claim back so much of the cost also.

Apologies Keefo. I am getting old as well so mixing things up comes easily to me these days :biggrin: