shipping company coming to survey and size of container

bwatt99

When you have started to contact shippers to give you quotes on shipping your stuff who has come and had a survey of your stuff? and what companys dont bother?If they did not come how was the able to give you a true quote?

As it would be hard to expalain what you have,more so if you have many little items in different sized boxes.

I am planing on getting on contact with some of them and i would prefer for them to come visit and give me a quote that way,my stuff is not in house but are stored in a container,so i want them to come and look at the space its taking up and giave me quotes on that.

I also not sure if im within border line of a 20ft or if im going to be over and need a 40ft,thats why when i have them visit they will see the volume of stuff i have.I have had to move my stuff into storage and have taken a list of all items in there,even stuff in each box,however how small.

But my question is if im going to be 20ft then there is things im going to leave behind,but if i am going to have a 40ft then there is extra things i plan on taking,if say they visit and they say ok 40ft is required then i may have a bunch of extra boxes to take,would this make any different to price,am i not paying for the 40ft container.

These extra boxes would be items im packing myself and not shippers,yes i know would not be insured if i packed myself but its they way i am doing it,But if i was a 20ft container then i would leave these behind.

I just wondered if i as said was told a 40ft container and i know for a fact there would be a lot of space i was gonna take these extra boxes and cause they would be already packed by myself if the cost without these boxes versus taking them would change.I know this is something the shippers will know best etc but thought i ask n here are you not paying for size of container,yes ok there time.location etc etc is a factor also but im trying to figure if the more you take in any size of container costs more even if you have packed some yourself

• 2 weeks later...

We used Pickfords and they came and did a suvey of everything that we wanted to take, estimated a size, and then gave us a price against that list. We needed 3/4 of a 40 ft container, and they are able to use the other 10ft for another customer, so we only paid for what we used. Larger compaines are able to do this, which can make it more cost effective.

When they came to pack however they didnt go through the list again line by line, they just packed the house, and dissapeared. When they looked at goods, they also made alowances for items that may require proper boxes making (my large toolkit got its own wooden box for safety), so I thinks its vital that they come and inpsect.

Hope that helps

Nick

When you have started to contact shippers to give you quotes on shipping your stuff who has come and had a survey of your stuff? and what companys dont bother?If they did not come how was the able to give you a true quote?

As it would be hard to expalain what you have,more so if you have many little items in different sized boxes.

I am planing on getting on contact with some of them and i would prefer for them to come visit and give me a quote that way,my stuff is not in house but are stored in a container,so i want them to come and look at the space its taking up and giave me quotes on that.

I also not sure if im within border line of a 20ft or if im going to be over and need a 40ft,thats why when i have them visit they will see the volume of stuff i have.I have had to move my stuff into storage and have taken a list of all items in there,even stuff in each box,however how small.

But my question is if im going to be 20ft then there is things im going to leave behind,but if i am going to have a 40ft then there is extra things i plan on taking,if say they visit and they say ok 40ft is required then i may have a bunch of extra boxes to take,would this make any different to price,am i not paying for the 40ft container.

These extra boxes would be items im packing myself and not shippers,yes i know would not be insured if i packed myself but its they way i am doing it,But if i was a 20ft container then i would leave these behind.

I just wondered if i as said was told a 40ft container and i know for a fact there would be a lot of space i was gonna take these extra boxes and cause they would be already packed by myself if the cost without these boxes versus taking them would change.I know this is something the shippers will know best etc but thought i ask n here are you not paying for size of container,yes ok there time.location etc etc is a factor also but im trying to figure if the more you take in any size of container costs more even if you have packed some yourself

​Hi if your not paying for the container ship the kitchen sink if you can