Ellenbrook Advice

So after spending quite some time investigating suburbs in the Hills and being quite convinced that's where we'll end up, we have been offered the use of a rental in Ellenbrook.

OH cousin owns a house there and currently rents it out. She has just put her tenants on 60 days notice in case we want to take the house (for a very reasonable rental cost!) As they say, beggars can't be choosers and to use another cliche we're not the sorts to look a gift horse in the mouth either.

Obviously if we take it, it will save us some major hassles in finding and applying for a rental elsewhere.

Now for the sticking point - we know nothing about Ellenbrook! Certainly the comments I have found on here seem positive but can anyone offer any advice on why it's like living there? What is the proximity to shops, entertainment, what is the commute like etc (We're not bothered about schools) it would be good to get some opinions.

TIA

Nikki

Ellenbrook feels a bit weird to me. It feels like the kind of place that has been built and then plonked in a random place! I know lots of people love it though. Its right next to the swan valley, surrounded by lovely countryside and relatively close to the city. It has all its own facilities, ie schools, shops, library, etc so you dont have to go anywhere and everything is new In essence it should be a great place to live, but i just dont like the feel of it.

Everyone is different though, and you really have to drive around to get a feel for the areas. I had some areas recommended to me as good, and when i drove around them i hated them!!!

Very nice, very clean place. Ultra new as well. Me and Debs are looking there, for a permanent residence, when our rental runs out, 17 minute drive to the nearest train station in Guildford, then 20 to Perth Central. Been told that there is a 'Yoof' problem, due there not being a lot for them to do, but just one persons opinion, others have told us it's a lovely place.

Guest guest9824
So after spending quite some time investigating suburbs in the Hills and being quite convinced that's where we'll end up, we have been offered the use of a rental in Ellenbrook.

OH cousin owns a house there and currently rents it out. She has just put her tenants on 60 days notice in case we want to take the house (for a very reasonable rental cost!) As they say, beggars can't be choosers and to use another cliche we're not the sorts to look a gift horse in the mouth either.

Obviously if we take it, it will save us some major hassles in finding and applying for a rental elsewhere.

Now for the sticking point - we know nothing about Ellenbrook! Certainly the comments I have found on here seem positive but can anyone offer any advice on why it's like living there? What is the proximity to shops, entertainment, what is the commute like etc (We're not bothered about schools) it would be good to get some opinions.

TIA

Nikki

Hii Nikkis2000, sounds good that you have a rental potentially sorted, that's a biggie off the list. Ellenbrook is very different to the places you mentioned before where you would like to live, and as Lozza says it does have a feel of being plonked out in the middle of no where. I quite like it though, we go to the Brook pub for meals it's very nice. I like the older part which was built before all the new areas. The older part is on the left had side of the main road into Ellenbrook. The blocks are a bit bigger and the houses have a more colonial feel to them. There is a lake there etc, it's very pretty. All of that is irrelevant I guess if you are in the newer bit. You have access to shops, library, swim school, schools etc. The biggest downside is that a train service was promised but never built which only leaves car or bus into the city, so it's a bit of a hike but doable, we have friends in Aveley who commute to the city every day, and they seem quite happy to do it. I guess if it's short term it might work out well for you, one less thing to worry about. Swan Valley on your doorstep too, always a bonus:wink: Good luck.

pea

Sorry, but I have to agree with Lozzachino. It is a very new place so very clean, but it did have a feel that we could not put our finger on. There were some lovely houses there and they are still building. I too have been surprised how different areas have been when I have arrived there. If you could sign up for just six months, then it will give you some breathing space and it would make life easier to have somewhere to live as soon as you got here.

Generally, with the new builds, they are built in the middle of nowhere. I am sure in a few years these new estates will be much better once infrastructure is in place. Ellenbrook is a completely new town in itself so has all of the services that you would want. Is it ideal for you for work etc?

Thanks everyone - its good to hear people's opinions.

Cousin has sent over some details and the house is a reasonable size 3x2 on Coolamon Boulevard (just near to Holy Cross college from what I can see on Google). Its not exactly what we're looking for long term but it may well do us to start with. It needs a bit of TLC after being rented for a good few years but I think rolling our sleeves up and doing a bit of DIY is the least we could do should we take it!

As luck would have it another friend, who does live in our catchment area or Greenmount, is going travelling and has also offered us her house to rent (albeit its a bit smaller than the Ellenbrook place). I have to say I feel really blessed to have such good family & friends that we're in a position to be turning places down! :wubclub:

It's just another phase of this whole process that has fallen into place so easily. We are definitely destined to be there!

They haven't been turfed out as such. The agent had already advised they should be put into "periodic notice" due to the fact they're not keeping it up to scratch. It just means that at any point cousin can give 60 days notice for them to vacate.

Dont worry we're not putting anyone out on the street!!

Nikki's

I just spent the whole day in Ellenbrook, 2 sets friends there who love it and we are hoping to rent there also as we feel it has everything we need.... Have to agree it's just been randomly plonked down lol and still needs to develop an atmosphere as such but I do think it ticks lots boxes

Allan

We have lived in Aveley for just over 2 years now and are building too.

I agree with a lot of comments here, as it's definitely got to be something that you either like or dislike, I don't think there is anything in between.

We love it for the cycling in the vines, parks, wineries and lakes. It's not too expensive because it is out of the way.

Having said that it's very quiet. speaking to Ellenbrook planning only last week they said the cinema, swimming pool and shops extension is not too far away and a second pub! Woohoo.

The pub, the brook is nice and the food is good, it lacks a bit of atmosphere but then again quite a lot of pubs in the perth I have found do too.

It's a different way of life that's for sure :)

I work in Osborne park and the travelling is very easy by car, it's certainly not the M60 ;)

We do use the bus and train into the city on a weekend and it's simple and quick.

We go to the beach and we don't mind packing the car up and going, even if we lived ten minutes down the road from the beach with a little un' we would still have to pack everything up anyway.

It's something only you can make a decision and if it's a good rental certainly worth a try for 6 months.

I will say that the train line is a big disappointment for me personally, however a lot of locals in Ellenbrook don't want it anyway as they think it will ruin it by making it more accessible.

As for the "yoof" problem it's as bad as kids egging cars and knock and run as far as I can gather because there is not a lot for them to do. I've not heard of any major violent or abusive behaviour and agin putting it into perspective in Manchester, well, it's very quiet. Hubby, me and my daughter don't really know many people so maybe I'm not speaking to the right people about it.

Long reply, but hope it helps and as I say, open mind, very quiet, pretty in the wineries and each to their own.

Good luck

I have to say I'm starting to like sound of the proximity to the wineries!!

We live a fairly quiet life so the fact that it isn't the most buzzing of places isn't too much of a concern. TBH it sounds like the Brook would satisfy most of our entertainment needs! Just need to work out if it's in stumbling distance ;0)

Like many of you have said it may well be worth giving it a go for 6 months. It definitely seems like a feasible option from all your feedback.

• 7 months later...

Hi Nikki

How did you get on in Ellenbrook ? We ve spent a day there today and it looked like a perfect place to live - and all much more affordable than on the coast. Seriously considering a plot there - just wondering if it's all too good to be true - it kind of looks like a place that would be brilliant if it all works or a nightmare if it didn't.

thx Louise