Senior Piping Engineer in Oil and Gas Industry

sandy_aus

Hi Guys,

Firstly I would like to introduce myself to this highly informative and helpful community. I am a senior/lead piping engineer working in the oil and gas, pterochemical sector and having an experience of 13+ years and currently based in Singapore. We got our 189 visa on May-2013 and still looking for suitable opportunities. As per feedback from various recruiters things are still very slow and dont know when it will pick up. Has anyone got any idea of the firms who are recruiting currently? My experience is related mainly with office works including pipe stress analysis, material mangement, 3D model, piping desgn etc. I do visit site on need basis.

Also my wife has got masters in Social Works - what are the chances of getting a job there?

:arghh:

Many thanks

Hi Guys,

Firstly I would like to introduce myself to this highly informative and helpful community. I am a senior/lead piping engineer working in the oil and gas, pterochemical sector and having an experience of 13+ years and currently based in Singapore. We got our 189 visa on May-2013 and still looking for suitable opportunities. As per feedback from various recruiters things are still very slow and dont know when it will pick up. Has anyone got any idea of the firms who are recruiting currently? My experience is related mainly with office works including pipe stress analysis, material mangement, 3D model, piping desgn etc. I do visit site on need basis.

Also my wife has got masters in Social Works - what are the chances of getting a job there?

Many thanks

Oil and gas very quiet in Perth at the moment. Lots of designers in that industry I know are being laid off and are seeking work overseas.

Firstly, many employers will not consider you until you are in the country.

There is still a large amount of work going on in the sector.

Thanks verystormy for your response. If you know agencies/firms looking for personnel like me, please let me know. I wonder whether leaving a stable job without having a job in Perth is going to work at this point of time.

Hi Guys,

Many thanks

I am a senior piping designer, who is doing any sort of discipline job that is being thrown at me just to stay working. To be honest, if this role finishes as I suspect it will, then I am on the big bird for the UK as there is little to nothing to move to. Can't pay the mortgage and other debts on the dole.

Maybe have a look at Bechtel (Wheatstone Project) and CKJV (Gorgon Project). Alternatively, have a look at Woodside, Conoco Phillips and Inpex. More chance for engineers, but you might have to be prepared to look at an on site operations engineer role.

I am a senior piping designer, who is doing any sort of discipline job that is being thrown at me just to stay working. To be honest, if this role finishes as I suspect it will, then I am on the big bird for the UK as there is little to nothing to move to. Can't pay the mortgage and other debts on the dole.

Maybe have a look at Bechtel (Wheatstone Project) and CKJV (Gorgon Project). Alternatively, have a look at Woodside, Conoco Phillips and Inpex. More chance for engineers, but you might have to be prepared to look at an on site operations engineer role.

Thanks Phil. Is the situation same in Brisbane or other places? Perth is the first preference but I won't mind other places to start with. Although I have bits and pieces experience in field, I won't mind a site role to start with.

Thanks Phil. Is the situation same in Brisbane or other places? Perth is the first preference but I won't mind other places to start with. Although I have bits and pieces experience in field, I won't mind a site role to start with.

I have been looking at jobs all over Australia and have applied for jobs in Brisbane, but I get the feeling that unless you're there it's hard to get a job as the selection pool is quite large. As for engineers, I get the feeling there is still a demand as there still seems to be quite a few jobs advertised.

As well as the companies I mentioned, maybe look at Chevron as well. Just keep an eye on Seek as well as anything you can see on LinkedIn.

I am control systems engineer and now also looking for the job in Perth from overseas. It took me 5 months already but still unsuccessful. It seems that they do not recruit the person who is not in au, right?

When times were good and things were booming it was possible, but I would say that right now unless you're here on the ground the chances are slim to none.

When times were good and things were booming it was possible, but I would say that right now unless you're here on the ground the chances are slim to none.

Hi Philphom, thanks for your reply. If I am in Perth, you think there will have a high chance to get the job within 2 months? As I will bring along with my family with 2 kids, so I do not want to be so risky. Do you think it will be easy to find for odd job while waiting for the professional job coming in?

• 2 weeks later...

I got general skilled migration visas for my family approved 18 months ago and have applied for just about every piping engineer job that has come up over the past year in Perth.

Dont be fooled, there are not many jobs about at the moment and any that do I think are getting snapped up by engineers already in Perth.

My veiw at the moment is that volume of long term work is pretty scarce in Perth and seems quite a risky proposition to base a full migration on at this point in time!

I've heard of a lot of expat engineers heading away from Oz due to lack of work!

All the best anyway!