Help from newbie

Guest Bally

Hi ya,

This is new to me just found this site,wondering if anyone can help me,I am 52 years old, have been an electrician for 36 years in the UK,found trying to be a electrician in Australia,is there is to many obstructions,is it still possible to get a sponsor and some other work,thinking my electrical experience may help me.Must say they always say we what your skills come over,don't. make it easy do they.Just thinking on moving because I have 2 daughters 24years and 20years who are nurses and are thinking to move in the near future,this is why I am looking to see how easy it is to get sponsor and work,(much harder than I thought),any info would be much appreciated.

I have good and bad news.

The bad first. I am afraid you are too old to apply for skilled migration. The age limit is 50.

Now some good. If both of your daughters move to Oz and you have no other children, then once they are settled, you could apply for a contributary parent visa. This is an expensive option. But it is the ony viable way of actually moving to Oz. You would need to be aware that if you planned on working as an electrician, you would need to gain a WA license which can take about a year.

I agree with verystormy with regards your chances of a Visa, unless you have some other circumstances which alter this, like your Wife / Defacto qualifies.

As for the work, there is still quite a lot about, however you need to be supervised for the first 6-12 months, this is not as bad as it sounds, but supervised work is a little harder to get.

Once you get your A grade, your experience should help, however again, bear in mind the rules are different here, and it took me a couple of years to be confident enough, to run my own business, hope this helps.

QUOTE=verystormy;87508]I have good and bad news.

The bad first. I am afraid you are too old to apply for skilled migration. The age limit is 50.

Now some good. If both of your daughters move to Oz and you have no other children, then once they are settled, you could apply for a contributary parent visa. This is an expensive option. But it is the ony viable way of actually moving to Oz. You would need to be aware that if you planned on working as an electrician, you would need to gain a WA license which can take about a year.

• 9 months later...
Hi ya,

This is new to me just found this site,wondering if anyone can help me,I am 52 years old, have been an electrician for 36 years in the UK,found trying to be a electrician in Australia,is there is to many obstructions,is it still possible to get a sponsor and some other work,thinking my electrical experience may help me.Must say they always say we what your skills come over,don't. make it easy do they.Just thinking on moving because I have 2 daughters 24years and 20years who are nurses and are thinking to move in the near future,this is why I am looking to see how easy it is to get sponsor and work,(much harder than I thought),any info would be much appreciated.[/quote

Yes mate,Is bloody hard and getting harder.Im a Cabinetmaker, took me 2.5 yrs to get a visa with a state sponsorship for WA.Your 52 so unless you got a shed full of dosh and dont want to work full time just part time,Last I was aware 50 is the cut off age for work sponsors, but,dont quote me on that.Your Daughters stand a better chance of getting sponsors as nurses.Even tho all trades are badly needed here ,and your trade especially is needed ALTHOUGH and its a biggin,you have to go back to college and earn your WA electrian licence,just to start at the btm.Me thinks you dont want that ?Its wrong and it sucks !