Advice for finding a job

Mich

Hi all, I moved to Perth in November last year, had a fabulous Christmas and New Year and now actively looking for a contract role.

It seems that its pretty hard to find temporary jobs here. Feeling a little dis-heartened :-(

I have registered with agencies, logged onto SEEK and other websites. Just wondered if anyone else has found the same thing and if the market should pick up a little.

My job - I'm a PA with Office Management, Senior Project Admin roles under my belt, lots of certificates H&S, FM, MS Office, SAP etc etc.

Be great to hear some ideas.

Thank you

Mich

Hi Mich

I am Project Administrator as well. I will come to Perth beginning of April on a 190 PR Visa. I have sent out a few applications (from off-shore) but not surprisingly not received any feedback on that. Maybe the job market is not at its peek right now, but hopefully I will find a job anyway. By the way, do you have local experience, as I assume that this is vital to be competitive on the job market in Perth (although when you first come to Perth, you can't have that, which is why they will not offer you a job which would give you local experience,...; hen-egg problem). How much professional experience do you have?

And what is your back up strategy in case that you do not find a job soon?

Finn

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you :-) beandownunder.

Re Visa - I have dual nationality Australian / British, so legal to work here.

I haven't lived in Australia since I was 5 so I am British.

@ Finn-in-Webb - yes definitely a hen-egg problem, that is exactly the feedback I am getting on submitting my cv to agencies. I have explained that I would like to temp to gain the experience. Pulling my hair out a little but will keep at it. :-)

I have a lot of experience - Project Admin, PA to Director, Office Management with certificates. Fingers crossed.

Good luck with your move Finn-in-web

Linkedin is another good option as you can build up your profile there. I get hits from recruitment agencies there, though I'm not currently looking.

Unfortunately the market is really slow at the moment. I'm in engineering, and most of the consultancy companies are laying experienced people off, which is a sign tehy don't see an upturn hapenning really quickly

My only other thought is to be flexible, and maybe generalyise the CV to cover more potential positions.

Sorry I cant be of more help, but keep at it. Being out here at least you are local, and your enjoying all that Perth has to offer.

Nivk

Thank you All, .

Re Visa - I have dual nationality Australian / British, so legal to work here.

I haven't lived in Australia since I was 5 so I am British.

@ Finn-in-Webb - yes definitely a hen-egg problem, that is exactly the feedback I am getting on submitting my cv to agencies. I have explained that I would like to temp to gain the experience. Pulling my hair out a little but will keep at it. :-)

I have a lot of experience - Project Admin, PA to Director, Office Management with certificates. Fingers crossed.

Good luck with your move Finn-in-web.

Thanks Nic964 I have updated LinkedIn and will keep checking there as well.