Moving while pregnant!

Marshel

Hi

Has anyone ever made the big move while expecting? We were going to wait until the baby was born but are trying to organise the move before but are cutting it fine for flying.

Can an anyone advise what the maternity care is like, hospitals and also how long it takes to be covered for Medicare? Is there a waiting time or are you covered straight away?

People will probably think that's crazy we figured it's best to move with just one small child rather than a toddler and a newborn.

Edited by Marshel

I did it at 29 weeks. This is how I did it in Melbourne, dont know if WA any different - When you arrive get yourself signed up for Medicare, I think we did it after a few days, you will probably get a temporary card , then go to a GP and get a referral to the maternity unit at the hospital, I then got all appointments arranged with the midwife clinic/obs direct with them. I dont know about scans etc as I was passed that stage, but any other tests I had to get, bloods, sugar, etc were all done free, and then delivery (I had emergency C Section in the end) was all on Medicare as well. The care I received in the public system was excellent, I had a lot of complications, was in hospital for a week before, and nearly 3 after, had a private room etc.

The flying at that stage was actually ok, I had to get up and walk quite a bit and drink a lot, but apart from that fine.

Good luck

welcome to PP!,

remember to take your handheld noted from the uk (you may need to copy them as your midwives may keep them here) give your local hospital a bell when you arrive if not beforehand and they will point you in the direction of the midwives. What visa are you on? you are covered by Medicare on a permanent visa but also by reciprocal agreement if on a temp visa ( as you would in the eu) There are things which aren't converted though ie ambulances so may need some private cover in place.

good luck,

bean (the midwife!)

It's permanent residence we have.

In the uk I am consultant led because I have EP, does it work the same in oz? My consultant here is quite happy for me moving, hasn't recommended against it. Are the midwifery units split the same as they are in the uk?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

Has anyone ever made the big move while expecting? We were going to wait until the baby was born but are trying to organise the move before but are cutting it fine for flying.

Can an anyone advise what the maternity care is like, hospitals and also how long it takes to be covered for Medicare? Is there a waiting time or are you covered straight away?

People will probably think that's crazy we figured it's best to move with just one small child rather than a toddler and a newborn.

I have just been wondering the same thing, I'll be 25 wks when we fly and we are on a 190 PR visa. I was advised to enquire abt private ins but as it is a "pre-existing" condition unlikely they will cover this pregnancy. I panicked at first as was unsure of the healthcare system but having looked in to it i think Medicare seems to offers pretty much what the nhs does (although there may be some charges) and i had no problems with their level of service. I think my main concern was because my first little one came early he spent some time on neonatel and i wasn't sure what would happen if that situation was to arise again. It is still a little hazy though so Any one with additional advice would be a welcome read! X