Emigrating with a dog to Perth

Lovelylynds23

Hi, I am hoping to bring my beloved pet dog to Perth with me. We will be flying from Manchester airport when we eventually get to leave the uk. My questions are....do any of you have your dogs in Perth with you? How were they after the flight? Any vital information I need to know?

Thanks in advance! Lyndsey

I have a lakeland terrier. She is great, really lively, pleasant and loves everyone. She is having her rabies injection tomorrow. For anyone wishing to take their dog please get in touch with 'DEFRA' in the uk as these have the latest information and give great advice. The woman couldn't be nicer and more helpful on the phone. I just don't know anyone who has gone through the process!

Hello Lovleylands, I'm also looking to travel to Perth with my little cockapoo in September, had a look at Defra website and will defo give them a call. It's just unfortunate that Perth don't have a quarantine center anymore. I'm really shocked at the price of transporting our pets from what I've heard, it's going to working out just as expensive as our flights ( and that's for 4 of us !!) I'll need to get some proper quotes arranged just wasn't sure if there were any companies more reputable than others to use any suggestions would be welcome. I hope it works out for you.

Thank you. My dog is booked in to get her rabies vaccination today. I am understanding that nothing is straightforward and definitely am following rules. I just wondered if anyone else has actually gone through that process with their dog. It seems petair fly from heathrow and we wish to fly from manchester. There are other travel ompanies who offer services. The actual official port of call is DEFRA and they have been great.

Has anyone flown from Manchester with a dog? Are there any brits in Perth who have their dog with them? Has the quarantine centre in Perth closed?

Thanks!

My dog has had her rabies vaccination. But now it seems that the Perth quarantine centre IS closed (due to risk of bush fires). Dogs are now to be flown to Sydney or Melbourne and quarantined there and then transferred on an internal flight to their destination. I am currently feeling devastated! :-(

My pets had there rabies injections done 04th Jan 14, they can't leave UK till beginning of July 14. We have to go from Belfast, London, Melbourne quarantine(10 days) then onto Perth. Poor pets but we would not leave them behind and will be all worth it when we get them at the other end (Perth).

How did you organise it all GreigT? Have you used a carrier (pet travel) company or sorted the arrangements yourselves? Yes it will be worth it, I just wasn't aware that the quarantine centre was closed in Perth. It's such an inconvenience for us and the pets. Very best of luck with your move, and for your pets. Please keep me posted how your move goes. I just hope ours goes smoothly!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gemma Sims-Faulkner
How did you organise it all GreigT? Have you used a carrier (pet travel) company or sorted the arrangements yourselves? Yes it will be worth it, I just wasn't aware that the quarantine centre was closed in Perth. It's such an inconvenience for us and the pets. Very best of luck with your move, and for your pets. Please keep me posted how your move goes. I just hope ours goes smoothly!

Hi

We are also in the process of moving to Perth with animals 2 dogs and Cat. We are using a small family run business to ship our animals and take care of all the details before they leave and will guide us through the process. We have used this family business before to bring our dog back from America. We knew it was going to be expensive venture because it cost over £3000 to bring my dog back from America 13 years ago.

Most of the airlines will not let you book pets as cargo without going through a pet travel agent because of the process

We have been advised to book quarantine in Sydney because this centre is bigger and more availability.

When are you thinking about flying out.

We are booked for our rabies jabs next week with the annual boosters

Edited by Gemma Sims-Faulkner

Hi

We are also in the process of moving to Perth with animals 2 dogs and Cat. We are using a small family run business to ship our animals and take care of all the details before they leave and will guide us through the process. We have used this family business before to bring our dog back from America. We knew it was going to be expensive venture because it cost over £3000 to bring my dog back from America 13 years ago.

Most of the airlines will not let you book pets as cargo without going through a pet travel agent because of the process

We have been advised to book quarantine in Sydney because this centre is bigger and more availability.

When are you thinking about flying out.

We are booked for our rabies jabs next week with the annual boosters

hi

i can I can share our experience of bringing our pet English springer spaniel to Perth. We emigrated last November and our 10 year old dog spent 34 days in sydney quarantine due to Perth being closed. 2 years prior to emigrating we didn't have him vaccinated against leptospirosis so not yo get a positive result. Our vet completed all the relevant blood tests and paperwork which ran smoothly. We used pet air which is a fantastic company and right from the outset Bob made the whole process as less stressful as he could for us. We lived in the north west of England and drove our dog to pet air kennels near to heathrow to start his journey. We hired a dog walker who kept us updated with photos whilst our dog was in quarantine at sydney which was great to see how he was going as the only contact you get from quarantine is when they arrive or are unwell. Unfortunately due to the reduction in quarantine stays, dog walkers can no longer visit. Our experience was a positive one, yes for the first couple of days when our dog was reunited with us he was very quiet and I was anxious he would not be the same dog. Our dog hasn't changed from his stint in quarantine and has a fab life here basking in the sun, going to the beach. I would highly recommend pet air.

I got in touch with petair about taking my dogs the reply I got was fab, they go through every thing with you. I printed out there email I had about 5-6 A4 sheets. I will be using them

I too got my quote from pet air (Scotland) and have been very impressed with the amount of information we have been given we have been quoted 2300 going via Heathrow with the overnight stay at the kennels then a direct flight to Sydney, this option was the shortest crate time for her. A further 427 was then quoted from Sydney to Perth and on top of that will be the quarantine costs.

This obviously depends on the size of the animal, we have a little cockapoo.

We'll be renting for a bit after our initial stay relatives how easy is it getting a nice property that allows pets anyone ??

We'll be renting for a bit after our initial stay relatives how easy is it getting a nice property that allows pets anyone ??

It is harder but don't dismiss the properties that say no pets, always worth an ask! We found a few that said no pets, but when asked said if we pay a bond it'll be ok.

After asking our agents if we could home a small dog they said they would ask the landlord, after a few weeks of chasing they stated he said no, but after meeting the landlord he said "dogs are fine, that's why there's no carpets in the house and there's bit of grass in the garden"! God loves a estate agent?

We found that around the Mandurah area most rentals were dog friendly

Thanks that's good to know, plan just now is to head to secret harbour area, we've got relatives there and in Singleton, she's got les jags next week so fingers crossed all goes well it suddenly feels everything is so much more real and we're actually doing this, yikes !!! #superexisting

I am unsure when we are emigrating. My move to Perth is incredibly messy and I've gone and added a dog to the equation ha! Hopefully we'll be there after the October half term in the uk (depending on my visa etc).

My boyfriend has a rental and pets are allowed. I just can't wait to walk my Dog in the glorious sunshine! :-):cool:

I am unsure when we are emigrating. My move to Perth is incredibly messy and I've gone and added a dog to the equation ha! Hopefully we'll be there after the October half term in the uk (depending on my visa etc).

My boyfriend has a rental and pets are allowed. I just can't wait to walk my Dog in the glorious sunshine! :-):cool:

When we spoke to our vet regarding emigrating to Australia, the uk booster vaccinations include leptospirosis but WA don't or didn't at the time so we didn't have our dog vaccinated against it for 2 years prior to moving as if the blood test came back positive, the dog would need a further blood test to determine if the result is from the vaccination antibodies or from infection. Hope this makes sense. Also there is a tight schedule for rabies injection and blood test but our vet along with pet air were brilliant and worked out the schedule for our dog. Good luck!!