IELTS speaking nightmare!

Shona7

I've recently sat my General IELTS. I'm English from the North East. I feel the written, reading and listening elements were OK. The speaking however was absolutely awful. I felt like I was back at Uni. I was speaking about subjects that should've been easy but I struggled beacuse the questions asked were so unexpected. I felt unprepared. I repeated myself, went off task I think and had to ask him to repeat a question because I was so nervous and terrified I wasn't going to give a relevant answer! I'm kicking myself. I need 8's for points. I wondered if anyone else has had the same experience and what results you managed to come out with?

TIA Shona

Honestly I think you are worrying for nothing. My husband took the general ielts twice already and in the speaking part got an 8first time and a 9 second time around. He's Irish so had an accent that sometimes us Brits don't get first time ( he's asked to repeat things alot)! He's also not academic (at all) so I'm sure you will have at least an 8 in the bag - it's a breeze for a native speaker and I'm sure they are using to people having nerves. Good luck x

Honestly I think you are worrying for nothing. My husband took the general ielts twice already and in the speaking part got an 8first time and a 9 second time around. He's Irish so had an accent that sometimes us Brits don't get first time ( he's asked to repeat things alot)! He's also not academic (at all) so I'm sure you will have at least an 8 in the bag - it's a breeze for a native speaker and I'm sure they are using to people having nerves. Good luck x

Thanks so much Derbygirl42. I speak quite fast being northern so felt like I verbally vomitted all over him! :wideeyed: It's going to be a long week! Good to hear your hubby got such good marks! Thanks for your response x

I did mine twice and got a 9 on the first go - it was very relaxed and conversational. The second on the other hand, I felt off guard by the question - talking about hte typical british birthday celebrations n stuff. I stuttered and stammered, repeated myself and knew I hadn't done anywhere near as well as the first one. I think a lot of it is down to the examiner on the day.

I got 8.5 the second time btw.

Good luck

I have similar worries... I sat mine on the 20th. I feel the listening, reading and speaking went well but I went well over the word count on the written and had to delete words and sentences so it ended up looking such a mess. I wish it had a little more time and I could do a plan first.

I hate this waiting, cant believe there is still 6 days to wait!

I have similar worries... I sat mine on the 20th. I feel the listening, reading and speaking went well but I went well over the word count on the written and had to delete words and sentences so it ended up looking such a mess. I wish it had a little more time and I could do a plan first.

I hate this waiting, cant believe there is still 6 days to wait!

I sat mine the same day as you, so same painful waiting time! It's one of those situations where you leave and feel it go anyway. Good luck with your results and let me know how you get on.