Can someone recommend some HONEST kid dentists in Perth?

ozpete

Thank you TMJ,

Good to know there are some dentists out there willing to continue UK treatment!! My daughters orthodontist has said that they will email across all her records when we find the orthodontist in Perth that we are happy with.

I agree that using a savings account instead of high premiums for private health care would also be more beneficial-especially for orthodontic work.

Thanks again

Jess x (The Jamesy's)

A little off topic but while away on holiday recently Mrs p needed to have some urgent dental attention. We were heading for Phnom Penh at the time and after a bit of research found a highly regarded practice in the city.

To cut a long story short she had a wisdom tooth removed and the total cost of the surgery, anaesthetic, pain medication and antibiotics came to $125. Here the same treatment would have been closer to $1000.

The dentist who treated her was a kiwi, the facilities and service was so amazing that we're going to go back for a week for us both to have work done.

Flights to PP are less than $500 return and you can find good accommodation for as little as $50 a night and Phnom Penh is an amazing place.

I realise people may have different points of view but for us it's the way forward

Is that $500 return each or for your family. Won't get you mixed up with VS.
*Like :wink:

That's $500 each. We're going to go back separately but with mates so we both can have a bit of a break too.

Mrs p's treatment plan would be in excess of $7500 and my mouth needs around $1000 worth of work but in PP she's been quoted $2300 so it's a bit of a no brainer as far as we're concerned.

Guest Guest6235

What type of insurance do you have in oz and in particular dental.

I'm just looking on some websites again and they don't make it easy with all the varying prices and options.

I'm just looking on HBF and on essesentials saver for some of the dental work it says benefits of up to $44-99 does this mean you can only claim back this amount

Edited by Guest6235

Guest Guest6235

a089e3f83980a46325e267eb667d3131.jpg

On this image of in insurance policy detail does it mean a persons age when they are talking of 3-5years 5-10 years etc or are they talking about if you've been insuring with HBF for this amount of time then that's all you'll be able to claim back. On a $7500 brace the amount shown hardly makes it worth it.

I'm not sure, I'd have to read the whole doc to understand.

What I will say is that we have the basic cover for dental so that we're covered for emergencies. This does include cover for $700 worth of work each p.a. which does allow us to claim for work done overseas. This does not allow us to claim 100% of the cost so, if we have $700 worth of work done in Cambodia, we might only be able to claim back 20% of it (I'm guessing, I have no idea of the true figures).

The bottom line for us is that I look after my teeth and haven't needed anything for 15 years. I'd much rather put cash away each year, become a health tourist and holiday while I'm having work done.

Keefo....I believe they are quoting the number of years you have had the policy i.e. 3 years allows $800 rebate off your $7500. Which is why I would not recommend dental cover purely for ortho cover alone. If you get the cover as part of dental cover for your family then fair enough. I would also recommend private health cover for any dental treatment. The cost of dental treatment without health insurance where I work is a lot higher than the same type of work with health insurance.

Portlaunay....I did some volunteer work in Phnom Penh a few years ago at a non-government dental clinic. Treating local children though :P Worked with a local Cambodian dentist and the work he did was good. Nice to go the FCC for a cocktail after your dental treatment

Guest Guest6235
Keefo.... The cost of dental treatment without health insurance where I work is a lot higher than the same type of work with health insurance.

Are you saying here for example a treatment may cost $4K but if you have any level of insurance they may charge $3k, the insurance acting as a subsidy?

@Keefo

Yes you're on the right track. Where I work we are 'preferred providers' for a range of health funds. This means the health fund dictates the cost of dental treatment for example a crown.

So a crown may cost $1300 with one health fund, $1500 with another, $2100 another etc. (that is the fee that goes to the practice owner).

Your level of rebate will differ as well depending on your level of cover and the provider rates we charge so you may end up paying anything from $300-$2100 (known as your gap).

Any patient who does not have private health cover or is with a health fund that is not one of our preferred provider schemes pay the highest fee. It's a frustrating system because why should identical treatment be charged differently?

This system is unfair and confusing. So there are a number of dental practices that charge the same price for the same treatment i.e. the crown, and may charge $1500 regardless of your health cover. So now your 'gap' depends on the level of cover your health insurance is will to rebate i.e can claim a max of $800 off a crown. These practices are not preferred providers so they can dictate their own fee and are not tied down to the health fund's business model. They are generally run by clinically good dentists IMO but sometimes perceived as being too expensive by a lot of patients I see although this may not be the case (depending on your health provider).

TMJ