Buying a used car in oz...need any help anyone can offer!!!

mwjw

Sounds good to me ! First thing I will need is a 7 seater (5 kids) - just browsing ahg.com.au site and not a lot in market. We have a VW Caravelle here in the uk and every day out reminds me of St. Trinians with my lot...got to be practically bullet proof ;) think I'm going to put this on the 'worry about it later' list , whilst we sort everything else out....

I would be bringing the caravelle with, they are bloody expensive here and like hens teeth to get hold of, if its a good one well worth bringing

I would be bringing the caravelle with, they are bloody expensive here and like hens teeth to get hold of, if its a good one well worth bringing

Thanks - for some reason I thought we couldn't bring vehicles on a 457. Just read up on iron lady imports and seems like I could.. Also have an audi a5 that I think I'd like to keep but not sure if worth the hassle / cost. Also we will need a car week 1 on arrival - practically it might not make sense...rethinking it over now..

Guest Guest6235

Decided not to go ahead with the extra warranty. When I went in Saturday they said we'll do all the forms as if you're going to do the extra warranty and when you come in Monday to pick the car up you can decide if you want it or not. Free tinting of the windows was included with the extra cover & I've just called them to ask about picking it up and they've said it won't be ready until tomorrow as it's going in for tinting. At this moment I started to lose it a bit as they were going ahead with something that I had yet to agree to, soon sorted though, although they did try flogging me another cover exactly the same but I didn't have to have it serviced with AHG.

Decided not to go ahead with the extra warranty. When I went in Saturday they said we'll do all the forms as if you're going to do the extra warranty and when you come in Monday to pick the car up you can decide if you want it or not. Free tinting of the windows was included with the extra cover & I've just called them to ask about picking it up and they've said it won't be ready until tomorrow as it's going in for tinting. At this moment I started to lose it a bit as they were going ahead with something that I had yet to agree to, soon sorted though, although they did try flogging me another cover exactly the same but I didn't have to have it serviced with AHG.

I don't get the extra warranty thing, it's offered on everything here and I wonder how many people are conned out of how many thousands each year. If you think about the lifespan of a product, why would you take out a warranty for 5 years? Chances are you'll have bought new one by then.

I'm very sceptical of insurance (which is effectively what a warranty is), and in my experience there are so many loopholes it's often difficult and stressful to make a claim. I'd like to know if anyone has had a positive experience, it might restore some faith.