Daughters education

Chris Bancroft

Hi, 

I’ve been granted my 189 visa and will be moving to perth from the uk next year with my family. My youngest daughter is currently in year 11 (15 yrs old) and will be taking her gcse exams next year (2018). Can anyone help with advice as to what she will do when we arrive in oz? Will she have to go back a year at school, take Australian exams, is there any point in her doing her gcse’s In the uk? 

We don’t have to activate our visas until July which ties in with her finishing her exams, although we would like to move ASAP. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. Chris. 

It depends on if you may return to the UK or not, but generally, they don't mean much.

The Aus system is different in that years 11 and 12 make up the course curriculum and have a pathway to Uni if they study ATAR subjects.  Results from the 2 years plus exams give an ATAR score which is the entry for Uni.  certain courses/uni's have different ATAR scores e.g. UWA's minimum ATAR entry is 80, some courses e.g. medicine want an ATAR of 99.  You leave school at 17/18 depending on your birthday and don't go to college to do A levels.  By completing Year 12 you get a WACE/Graduation certificate.  You can leave school before year 12 (from year 10) if you have a full time job or are enrolled in different education e.g. TAFE.

I would have a talk to schools in the area you're interested in regarding the best course of action.  I know in my sons year, his friend is a year older as he came back to do year 11 after leaving.

On 12/30/2017 at 02:07, Chris Bancroft said:

Hi, 

I’ve been granted my 189 visa and will be moving to perth from the uk next year with my family. My youngest daughter is currently in year 11 (15 yrs old) and will be taking her gcse exams next year (2018). Can anyone help with advice as to what she will do when we arrive in oz? Will she have to go back a year at school, take Australian exams, is there any point in her doing her gcse’s In the uk? 

We don’t have to activate our visas until July which ties in with her finishing her exams, although we would like to move ASAP. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. Chris. 

Depends when her birthday is as to what year she goes in to.  My daughter is also 15 and goes in to year 10 this year 2018.  Year 11 here would be born between 1st July 2001 and 30th June 2002, Year 10 in 2018 would be 1st July 2002 and 30th June 2003. Ali has given you good information with regards course structure for 11/12.  However, entry to the subjects is usually granted based on performance in year 10 so I would say doing the exams in the UK won't do your daughter any harm.  Does she know what she wants to do?  Does she want to go down a Uni path or more of a vocational/work path?