Teacher with 65 points waiting invitation for 189: advice please

Samantha G

Hi! 

I have had an EOI registered with 65 points for 189 visa since end January 2018: I am a qualified and experienced French and Spanish Secondary School teacher. I notice that since approx October 2017 there have been no invitations issued for 189 visa for candidates with 65 points. Does anyone have any idea if they are likely to start offering invitations for 65 points towards the end of this year? 

Otherwise I guess I should lodge a 190 or a 489 application? The only thing is that we really would like to go to WA because my husband is a mining engineer (best opportunities seem to be there) and my brother is a permanent resident there and I know that WA rarely issues invitations!  

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sorry, can't answer your specific question, I've read that having 70/75 points is more likely to get an invite since the changes in June.  You could look at state sponsorship - can you apply on your husbands skills?  Will he get more points?

On 29/07/2018 at 13:03, Samantha G said:

Hi! 

I have had an EOI registered with 65 points for 189 visa since end January 2018: I am a qualified and experienced French and Spanish Secondary School teacher. I notice that since approx October 2017 there have been no invitations issued for 189 visa for candidates with 65 points. Does anyone have any idea if they are likely to start offering invitations for 65 points towards the end of this year? 

Otherwise I guess I should lodge a 190 or a 489 application? The only thing is that we really would like to go to WA because my husband is a mining engineer (best opportunities seem to be there) and my brother is a permanent resident there and I know that WA rarely issues invitations!  

Thanks in advance for any advice!

How many points are you claiming for English language ability? Can you increase your points by retaking the IELTS/PTE? 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks SarahL and Ali for your replies. Sorry not to reply sooner. Unfortunately, I don't think we can get any more points for the 189 EOI. I've already taken PTE and got full marks and my husband's job (Mining Engineer) isn't on the same Visa list as mine, so no points there. I've got a Masters and more than 10 years' experience so no points there...and I can't get any younger!

We've now put in a Family-sponsored 489 EOI (my brother has PR in WA) with 75 points and a 190 for NSW with 70 points. The only thing with the 489 (which would at least mean we could go to WA) is that I am 41 and my husband is 40 so we wonder what are chances are for getting PR once we've done 2 years on a 489 temporary visa, especially since we will be coming up 45 by then? Assuming we might get invited for a 489 and get jobs!! This is all hypothetical, of course! Any comments or suggestions most welcome...