Car seats

lulu2014

Hi Everyone

Just looking for a bit of advice on car seats, I’ve seen posts saying that Uk car seats are illegal in Australia so it seems we have to buy car seats when we get there. (We have a 2 and 3 year old.)

Just wondered did anyone take Uk car seats with them? I’m thinking it would be handy to get us from the airport to our accommodation on arrival and use them short term until we get car seats bought. Also we plan a few trips back to the uk and it would be useful to have them to take back and use in a hire car when we would be back.

We are happy with the car seats we have and feel they are safe so it’s not that we are planning to risk safety, we are thinking of talking them just to get us from the airport really, I know that if we hire a car we can hire the carseats too but we have done that before and we were not happy with the quality of the car seats provided. The seats we have can be secured using a seatbelt so no iso fix or anything like that.

Just wondered what others have done and if the majority opinion is to just leave there behind or did anyone take them and find they were useful, obviously we don’t want to break the law but I’d imagine the implications are more from an insurance point of view.

Thanks [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Everyone that lived here.. Lol and the lady when I eventually went to buy the booster seat for my daughter....( As that also has to have the anchor strap too) ... I was more than happy to keep my kids in their UK car seats if they were good enough for the UK they were safe enough here... Was my opinion.. They were not cheap car seats that we brought with us.. Maxi Cosi and at the time when we moved here it seem to me like just another expensive to replace them. 

It might be worth checking the approved car seats for Australia as I think they have to have anchor straps.  I guess it's up to you if you wish to continue to use an unapproved car seat whilst living in Aus.  It is the law here in WA that car restraints must comply with AS/NZS1754

New child safety laws came into effect in June of this year (check WA road safety commission)

I doubt the police would routinely stop you, but if you were in a collision and it was found that your car seats didn't comply - then there may be prosecuted for breaking the law.

Thanks for the comments, always great to get some opinions [emoji4]
I am struggling to find out if our car seats have the Australian standard approval but I’m guessing if they don’t have a sticker or something on them then they most likely don’t have it!
Can anyone explain what the anchor strap is? Is this something that is on the car seat for securing it into the car or is it in all cars in Australia?
I guess it is still handy to take them for the initial journey and then for trips back home (unless we can use Australian seats in Uk - I don’t fully understand the anchor strap) rather than hiring each time but probably going to have to buy seats after we arrive too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk