newly qualified midwife- advise needed

Hi all,

i am so confused about registration with APHRA i was hoping somebody could tell me how exactly registration works.

i will hold a bachelor degree in  midwifery from August 2019 which is when i qualify (im from Ireland so not UK trained). i want to move pretty much straight away as my husband is already there. We are already PR.

Aphra have been pretty useless with info and very generic with responses.

has anybody been through this process recently, and have there been any issues getting employment or any restrictions put on registration.

Once you get your registration you will be able to apply.  There will be nothing to stop you moving once your training is complete and you have your registration.  I can't say how easy it will be getting a job as a graduate - look at the hospitals that have maternity care.  king Edwards is the largest, also private hospitals like St. John of God offer maternity.

What is your specific question that you can't find on their website?

As someone who has undertaken an international course you need to use form AFOS-40  that page will also direct you to the nursing and midwifery board core registration standards that have to be met.  You can't apply for provisional registration as an overseas nurse

8 hours ago, ali said:

Once you get your registration you will be able to apply.  There will be nothing to stop you moving once your training is complete and you have your registration.  I can't say how easy it will be getting a job as a graduate - look at the hospitals that have maternity care.  king Edwards is the largest, also private hospitals like St. John of God offer maternity.

What is your specific question that you can't find on their website?

As someone who has undertaken an international course you need to use form AFOS-40  that page will also direct you to the nursing and midwifery board core registration standards that have to be met.  You can't apply for provisional registration as an overseas nurse

i suppose my question is with regards to registration with a period of supervision attached. there is alot of talk about uk midwives being diploma qualified but i cant get any specific answers about a bachelor degree in science( midwifery) and weather i would be expected to have the same period of supervision or notation on my registration.

i am slightly worried about obtaining work as a new graduate, however my 4 year degree includes a 9months internship at the end of the program so i was hoping that may be i could use that as clinical experience? maybe not! i cant get an answer. however, it is a paid internship, but i still hold the title of 'student midwife'.

thank you for your reply

2 hours ago, wearemoving said:

i suppose my question is with regards to registration with a period of supervision attached. there is alot of talk about uk midwives being diploma qualified but i cant get any specific answers about a bachelor degree in science( midwifery) and weather i would be expected to have the same period of supervision or notation on my registration.

i am slightly worried about obtaining work as a new graduate, however my 4 year degree includes a 9months internship at the end of the program so i was hoping that may be i could use that as clinical experience? maybe not! i cant get an answer. however, it is a paid internship, but i still hold the title of 'student midwife'.

thank you for your reply

You may just need to bite the bullet and apply for registration when eligible.  Will you be qualified when you do the internship and not registered with NMC

1 hour ago, ali said:

You may just need to bite the bullet and apply for registration when eligible.  Will you be qualified when you do the internship and not registered with NMC

No unfortunately not, the internship is year 4 of the degree so will still be a student. i am registered with the NMBI (regulatory body in Ireland) as a student and will remain a student until the internship is completed.

8 hours ago, wearemoving said:

No unfortunately not, the internship is year 4 of the degree so will still be a student. i am registered with the NMBI (regulatory body in Ireland) as a student and will remain a student until the internship is completed.

What were the replies when you enquired?

ETA - you could enquire with the Australian College of midwifes  www.midwives.org.au/overseas-midwives