Birth Control

Guest plant78

Guest plant78

Hi all,

my wife is asking the question about the pill, in the uk its free does anyone know if its free in Australia or do we need to pay if so how much?

Moving over 4 weeks tomorrow. Very happy!!!

Lee:smile:

Sorry I don't know how much it is - but it isn't free. Also brands may be different. Your wife should visit her doctor and see if there's a chance of a 6 month supply and bring as much as she can with her so that it gives her time to see a dr here.

What I will say about this is do not panic! I was really worried about costs etc, but to get it into perspective. You see the Doc for the prescription and that cost me $48 Medicare gave me $36 straight back. I got a 12 months supply for $30. Brilliant I was really really chuffed as imagining all sorts of problems. They may not have your wife particular brand but they will match her with one as near as possible :wubclub:

Guest plant78

hi catherine,

thats great. is the Medicare what we get when we arrive in Australia?? I've heard something about it but still unsure

Lee

Thats right, you need to go to a Medicare centre shortly after you land and they will do your application and then send you a card.

Now we went within days and were told to come back a week later as we werent yet in the system, but others got theirs straight away so I suppose it might depend which office you go to. Also you will all need to attend for the application to be processed, from memory I think they need you bank account details. When you go to the docs you can pay with your card and then they instantly pay medicare on the spot, or you can choose to pick the cash refund up at one of the medicare offices. :wubclub:

• 2 months later...

Hi all, hope you don't mind me asking....But I am coming to Oz in the next few weeks and was wondering if there are any problems with bringing contraceptive pills from the UK into the country at all? Thanks!