Hi everyone!

Guest orlaandjoe

Guest orlaandjoe

Hey there!

Myself, my partner and our little boy (6years old) are hoping to be in Australia by December/January. I had a phone interview with Geraldton hospital and got offerred a midwife position in their hospital, with a 457 employer sponsored visa! :jiggy::jiggy:so excited and just can't believe our dream is finally coming true! We are well and truly on the emigration rollercoaster now! So excited to get there, if anyone has any advice or tips about the big move I'd love to hear it all!

Thanks guys!:wubclub:

Guest diamondfoxy

Hi there, congratulations on getting your post at Geraldton. Just wanted to say hi, i am also a midwife and I've got a position at King Eddie's. We are just waiting for the visa to be granted and we can be on our way :jiggy:

Good luck with it all, if you need any help please contact me, not that Im an expert and hopefully we could meet up. Ive got a boy 5 and a girl 7.

Guest orlaandjoe

Hey diamondfoxy!that's great thank you very much I'll def give you a shout if theres anything I need to know..congrats on your job too thats fab!what type of visa are you going over on?Are your little ones excited about the move?

Guest diamondfoxy

Hi, we are also going on a 457 visa, ive submitted everything so hopefully we will hear soon. The kids seem very excited although its all just a big adventure for them isnt it. Where are you in the uk now, we live in clitheroe in lancashire and hopefully we are going to live north of the river. Clare x

Guest orlaandjoe

Hi Clare! We are in Ireland, near Dublin..if you don't mind me asking how much did it cost you to apply for the 457 visa?did you do it yourself or use an agent?And how long ago did you send off everything?sorry for all the questions!

Orla x

Guest diamondfoxy

Hi Orla

No problem at all, its all a bit confusing. I think it cost about £200 and Ive just done it myself. There is nothing to it really, Ive only just done it last week. The hospital submitted the application in may but told me to wait to be contacted but that doesn't happen. Once the hospital have submitted the application you then have to apply directly to the immigration dept and then send the extra information they need. Therefore we have had a bit of a delay but it all seems on track now. Ive sent them everything now so just waiting for an answer. Anything else just ask.

Clare x

Hi and welcome, congrats on the job.

With regards to advice, my wife had her 457 approved in 48 hours and was here in Perth three days later, myself and the kids followed 2 months after that and all I'd say is, just plan to take care of the stuff within your own sphere of control and let the rest happen by its own accord.

I had to organise shipping, selling the house, car etc in two months and it was pretty stressful but soooo worth it, we love it here. There's a sticky on this site or in the Poms in Oz forum with checklist of stuff to do before you leave that's pretty helpful and there's always this place for advice.

Good luck with it all.

Guest orlaandjoe

With regards to advice, my wife had her 457 approved in 48 hours and was here in Perth three days later, myself and the kids followed 2 months after that and all I'd say is, just plan to take care of the stuff within your own sphere of control and let the rest happen by its own accord.

I had to organise shipping, selling the house, car etc in two months and it was pretty stressful but soooo worth it, we love it here. There's a sticky on this site or in the Poms in Oz forum with checklist of stuff to do before you leave that's pretty helpful and there's always this place for advice.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks portlaunay!glad to hear you are all enjoying your new life down under!I'd say it was very stressful organising everything in that time, but as you said-so worth it!Thanks for the advice!:smile:

• 1 month later...
Guest orlaandjoe

Hey there!Thats fantastic thank you, its great to know someone already over there!How is everything going for you all so far?What area are you in in Geraldton?

Guest Guest4575

Good luck with it all.

Hi there - we are going through the same! Just completed my 457 application last night, but flying out on the 10th anyway, and the p[lan is to start work at Murdoch Uni on the 17th - so its good to know some visa applications can be processed so quickly! And yes, I'll be leaving my wife back here (in Luxembourg) to deal with everything else - poor thing!

Good luck to everyone else in the same boat - but hey, it's worth it - yes? :D

Many congratulations Orlaandjoe!! Ive just joined this site hoping to get some advice about going over too once Ive finished my Paediatric Nursing degree in April 2012. Hope your move over there is a good one x

Guest orlaandjoe
Many congratulations Orlaandjoe!! Ive just joined this site hoping to get some advice about going over too once Ive finished my Paediatric Nursing degree in April 2012. Hope your move over there is a good one x

Hey Betty! Thanks very much, very excited to get over there!Are you hoping to head to Perth next year?x

We have found a nice place in Mount Tarcoola and are now just waiting for our furniuture to arrive. Myself and the boys have been staying with relatives and arrive in Geraldton on Thursday. The eldest boy is due to start at Mount Tarcoola Primary school in a couple of weeks. It seems to be a very nice school and has a very goog reputation.

Morning Orlaandjoe...yes we are looking to head over to Perth next year once Ive qualified. I have been in touch with Princess Margaret Hopspital though and they said I would need at least 2 years experience before applying for anything there which kind of makes me think Im going to have to look at moving east to get over there sooner as I think they accept you alot sooner than that over there....gutted :0/ xx

Guest orlaandjoe
We have found a nice place in Mount Tarcoola and are now just waiting for our furniuture to arrive. Myself and the boys have been staying with relatives and arrive in Geraldton on Thursday. The eldest boy is due to start at Mount Tarcoola Primary school in a couple of weeks. It seems to be a very nice school and has a very goog reputation.

Mount Tarcoola looks lovely, we have our son's name down in bluff point primary. I'd say you all are looking forward to getting there and settling in!Its great to get chatting to families who will be living in the same area!

Guest orlaandjoe
Morning Orlaandjoe...yes we are looking to head over to Perth next year once Ive qualified. I have been in touch with Princess Margaret Hopspital though and they said I would need at least 2 years experience before applying for anything there which kind of makes me think Im going to have to look at moving east to get over there sooner as I think they accept you alot sooner than that over there....gutted :0/ xx

Its hard to know, I have one year post grad experience as a midwife and I'm applying for a 457. It is probably much easier to get a job if you have two years exp or more..when I applied to another hospital they didn't want to know as I didn't have a few years experience! I have heard of some hospitals offering graduate programs for newly qualified nurses..not sure what the wages are like on these but might be worth looking into. However the east coast looks lovely too! Very best of luck with whatever you decide, and with the rest of your studies!x

• 6 years later...
On 24/08/2011 at 13:27, Guest diamondfoxy said:

Hi, we are also going on a 457 visa, ive submitted everything so hopefully we will hear soon. The kids seem very excited although its all just a big adventure for them isnt it. Where are you in the uk now, we live in clitheroe in lancashire and hopefully we are going to live north of the river. Clare x

Hey I know this is an old thread, I just wondered if you were still in Geraldton ? Im from Burnley and will hopefully be there soon x