Which month does the school year start?

Guest debbie13

Guest debbie13

I have just got my head around which year group my children will attend when we move to Oz, but could someone shed some light on when the academic year begins , am I right in saying that their summer hols begin just prior to Christmas until mid Jan???? So does school star from mid Jan?

Hi Ali, its a catholic college, fee paying but not "private". Coming over to Perth in October for our son to have his interview so havn't definatly got a place yet. Does anyone have any experience of this? I have spoken to the head teacher but he said they will not offer a place untill they have interviewed my son.

All catholic schools are considered 'private' 16th January does still seem rather early to be going back, even for the private sector. My daughter goes to a fee paying school and they back 2nd February. According to the Catholic Education website the catholic schools go back on 1st February 2012.

The fact you have an interview is a good thing but I certainly wouldn't be counting your chickens just yet. Make sure you have a back up. Hopefully you are actually catholic as this bumps you up the list.

Ahh didn't know they were classed as private. We thought 16th Jan was early too but thats the date the head teacher told us, we are not catholic but the school still has spaces for his year group ( which is lucky) What should we expect from the interview? do they just want to meet the children to see if they are well mannered etc? I have no idea what to expect.

Guest TheGeorges

Dear Dayna,

I work at a private school and they don't go back until the start of Feb BUT the school is open from mid January for teachers wanting to get work done before the start of term. I am sure the school has a website, feel free to look on that for term dates. If you tell us the name of the school I can also look into it for you. With regards to interviews they are looking to judge the politeness and attitude of both the child and parents. They will expect a high standard for behaviour and a willingness to work hard and looking for parents to back them up if this expectation is not met.