Urgent Updates re shipping Pets ..

jackboots

We thought the same, but after not seeing pooch, then seeing her at Byford for the first time in 14 day days the poor pooch did not know what to do with herself she was so excited to see us, poor pooch must have thought she had been abondoned, we took some kangaroo jerky for her and gave it to her when we left, she was so pre occupied with her chew she didnt even notice us leave, we see her now three times a week now, I think its better to see her than not seeing her, she seems to appreciate the attention and the walk in the pen, the staff at Byford are brilliant. Cant wait for her to get out and we can let her loose on the beach, xmas visiting hours are a bit restricted, so poor pooch is going to have to spend xmas on her own with the other inmates

Thanks for that advice Druid. You have put my mind at rest. I would love to visit my Charlie when we arrive in Oz. By the time we get there Charlie will have only 2 weeks left. I think I will be itching to see him by then. Sounds good to take a treat for him for when we leave him. I can't wait for the day when he is allowed to come home and take him to the beach for a nice, long run!!!! :snow:

Guest MarkTawton

My dog Jet has arrived in Perth this morning after a massive fight to get her import permit and quarantine sorted because of the changes. Were not arriving until the 30th of jan so she will have already done her 30 days by then but luckily my mum, dad and siter all live there so are visiting as oftne as they can. Feel very sad thinking she my wonder if we have abandoned her, really hope not. Unfortunately Byford is now shut until the 3rd of Jan so they can go to see her until then. Luckily my family live next to the bush so will be getting many walks until we arrive. Hopefully i have just worked it up in my head.

My dog Jet has arrived in Perth this morning after a massive fight to get her import permit and quarantine sorted because of the changes. Were not arriving until the 30th of jan so she will have already done her 30 days by then but luckily my mum, dad and siter all live there so are visiting as oftne as they can. Feel very sad thinking she my wonder if we have abandoned her, really hope not. Unfortunately Byford is now shut until the 3rd of Jan so they can go to see her until then. Luckily my family live next to the bush so will be getting many walks until we arrive. Hopefully i have just worked it up in my head.

Hey Mark , welcome to pp..

when we migrated our dog came over first as well , we had dogwalks go in but he was fine Byford were brilliant and i used to phone to ask how he was getting on :) he came away no worse for wear having never been in kennels before . :)

• 4 weeks later...

has anyone on here already shipped there dogs over. I would like some info on how the dogs were after quarantine etc. I have 3 dogs, i will only be taking two dogs though due to the strict aus law, so obviously i have the hard task of choosing which two. Im trying to weigh up how the dogs are. of the two i trying to chose between, one is quite nervous,and loose weigh quite quickly in stress, and the other one gets hot a lot easier. its so hard to look at both dogs thinking i have to chose, but i need to make the right decision as with all the costs its going to cost £8000 as well to take two. I also have to think of the pets health etc. Please help if you can x

We brought our short coated dog over ( dalmation ) , yes it can be very hot in summer ... but you walk early or late at night , ( i always think people are idiots that walk dogs in the mid day sun ... poor buggers i'd love to wrap the owners in a fur coat and walk them wearing it !!! they really don't think :( here or anywhere at times. ) .Use the beach if they like water for walks and swimming and buy them a paddling pool , i also leave the air conditioning on for my dog when its been hot in the day , like 38 etc this week ... if they can be clipped do it as well , you dont get the wet mud here like the UK but its cold in the winter .. my dog loves it we walk longer walks in the winter ..lots acclimatise easily , i'd also weigh up the pro's and cons with your vet, re their temprement etc .

Hi jackboots,

They both have the same temprament, there both really good well behaved dogs, great with kids etc.

How was your dog when they came out of quarantine etc. Did you notice any weight loss etc, and did you visit them in quarantine?

one of them loves the water, the other doesnt. its so hard. i have to also consider who would be the easiest to rehome in the uk before i go, which again with be heartwrenching. x

my dog actually looked fab after kennells he dropped a bit of weight and looked awsome , not that he was fat but he had a bit to spare .But that was Byford feeding him exactly what he should have he is castrated and any *** bits like pig ears etc go to his waist ( bit like his mom ). he was no different after getting home ,we sent him 2weeks earlier and never visited .. we knew our dog ..would have hyped him up .

Id say winter here is like summer / Autumn /spring rolled int one Uk weather ... colder indoors at times than out , my boy sometimes go's outside and lies on the Grass in the hot weather as well :wacko: .

maybe if we send the one thats more nervous, we should ask the vet for some food that will fatten her up a little, then if she loses any it wont harm her. Don't want to get there and there is a big vet bill to have. How did you find dealing with quarantine and giving them notice, and did they charge for you for anything extra when you got there?

They would all enjoy it, so wish that aus law was like the uk though, although i do understand why they do it. There is only mandurah council and armadale that seem happy with having 3 dogs, but then there is getting the rental for 3 dogs agreed, and this may be more difficult.

has anyone on here already shipped there dogs over. I would like some info on how the dogs were after quarantine etc. I have 3 dogs, i will only be taking two dogs though due to the strict aus law, so obviously i have the hard task of choosing which two. Im trying to weigh up how the dogs are. of the two i trying to chose between, one is quite nervous,and loose weigh quite quickly in stress, and the other one gets hot a lot easier. its so hard to look at both dogs thinking i have to chose, but i need to make the right decision as with all the costs its going to cost £8000 as well to take two. I also have to think of the pets health etc. Please help if you can x

Hi Whelan family, my dog was shipped across in December and has been at Byford quarantine for over 3 weeks now. He is being released on Thursday. I have visited him a few times now since arriving myself and he has been so excited to see us. On leaving him in his kennel I usually give him a chew to chomp on and that usually occupies him whilst we leave - he doesn't even realise we have left him as he is so busy with his chew - we were given this advice on this brillian website as I was in two minds about visiting him. But, I am glad we have as it is great to see how he is getting on in quarantine and the Byford staff are fantastic with the animals. He is being well looked after.. Hope this helps. Take care, Michelle x

Decisions decisions, its a shame you can't bring them all, our full furred Golden Retreiver was a tad nervous, but the flight didnt seem to have disturbed he in any way, she also put on weight in Byford, we think she ate out of boredom, but with the lack of exercise put on the pounds, shes out now and soon lost the weight looning on the beach and in the water twice a day, the heat doesnt seem to bother her either, a professional groomer told us clipping her was a waste of time as it would not cool her down, the under fur acts both ways, cool in summer, warm in winter, we like the look of the full furred retreiver so we going to leave her, we have seen many clipped retreivers, one was clipped so short the poor thing even had sunburn on her back, are your dogs old?

Hi michelle,thats gud ur dog seems to have settled.has it lost any weight or anything,how have u found finding a rental with having a dog? X

Hi Whelan Family, no, my dog seems to have gained a little weight since being at Byford - strange, I know!!! He must be content there! I found my rental long before moving out here. I booked it initially as a holiday home, but then the owner's decided they were not doing holiday lets any longer and asked me if I wanted to be their tenant, as they knew I was looking for a L/T rental. So, I guess I hit lucky there. The house is amazing and I have saved on tenant fees. So, I didn't even have a chance to look around, which has saved me an awful lot of time. I wish you all the luck in the world with your move. What stage are you at? Take care, Michelle x

Hi Michelle,

Thats good about the rental. Who did you find it through originally?

We have been looking on various sites etc. My husband has a sponsership, were just waiting for the house to sell. Hope it sells quick, i just want to get there now.

We keep looking at houses etc, in different areas. i think we fancy around the waikiki area, not sure. i dread saying our last goodbyes, how did your go?

Thats good your dog is well, it makes me feel more positive about it.

thanks

claire

Hi Michelle,

Thats good about the rental. Who did you find it through originally?

We have been looking on various sites etc. My husband has a sponsership, were just waiting for the house to sell. Hope it sells quick, i just want to get there now.

We keep looking at houses etc, in different areas. i think we fancy around the waikiki area, not sure. i dread saying our last goodbyes, how did your go?

Thats good your dog is well, it makes me feel more positive about it.

thanks

claire

Hi Claire, I bet you can't wait to get over to Perth. We have only been here 10 days and feel at home already!!! I found our rental through the Stayz website as initially it was going to be our holiday rental for 3 weeks before looking for a more longterm rental. I hope your house sells soon - sounds like you are itching to get out here. Our goodbyes were awful. That is the worst part of moving out here. I really did not like that. I said goodbye to my family at the house as I didn't want to cause a scene at the airport. I cried all the way to the airport though. The poor taxi driver didn't quite know where to put himself!!!! Once I was on the plane though,I felt a bit calmer and more together. Good luck with selling your house and moving out here. I don't know Waikiki that well, but I am sure you will love it. Take care, Michelle x

• 1 month later...
Help.... we have had the injection, but dont know where to go from there HELP x

Have you contacted a shipping agent or spoken to your vets ? we used *Golden Arrow* and i also hear * pet air *are very good , if your on www.pomsinoz.com there are a few threads on the Pets section which may be of use and im sure one of the pet transporters posts on there to , you may be able to ask your questions .http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/pets/126932-petair-uk-pet-travel-service.html

Help.... we have had the injection, but dont know where to go from there HELP x

You need to wait 3-4 weeks, then go back to the vet and have a blood sample taken, this gets sent to the lab and if all is well, the vet will stamp the vet card, but its all pointless anyway, the deal with rabies is it has a long incubation period, so that means once the dog has had the jab and has been tested ok, the clock starts ticking for the 6 month incubation period, you can either spend 5 months in the uk and 1 month in quarantine, or 3 months in the uk and 3 months quarantine, or just bite the expensive bullet and spend 6 month in quarantine, we used pet air, they were excellent

start

• 1 month later...
Guest scaseysimpson

We are moving from Portland, OR USA, and venturing to our new lives and wonderful futures yet to be had in Perth. This has been a long time in the running and we are now taking the plunge. Having a hell of a time trying to find a safe and reliable shipping company. I am in construction and hoping to find a sponsorship that can keep me there for good. We are moving to be closer to my misses' father. Pulling the family together. We are originally from Fairbanks, Alaska, USA. This is going to be a very interesting climate change for us. We have just ruffed it through the last 188 days of rain with only about a week of sun in there somewhere. I am so excited to be moving. I just have no clue what I am in for.

Any good advice on decent construction companies in Perth to look for? Any good Moving companies from USA to Perth? Best neighborhoods for raising a 4yr old boy that is determined to be a surfer? I love fishing, stream, river or lake, I still need to be broken in to the ocean fishing. Any advice will be gladly excepted.

• 1 year later...
Guest dawnrobblouise 86

Hi Kerry, i noticed you took your rottie over to perth with you. what was the total cost of bringing your pet over? i have a rottie myself.

Thanks Dawn

• 3 months later...
Guest Lyndsey83

Hi guys I'm new to this so bear with me. I am worrying myself into a stupor regarding my two German shepherds. The cost the stress on them and if they will cope out their. we have sent our vetassess off and hopefully beginning of man get that back so I have got some time. The main concern is costs at the other end collecting them from quarantine, apparently it's $40 a day each dog? And then the vet at that end has to check them out so could costs spiral?