Ageism and the job market in perth.

Guest jond

Hi All

Just joined forum and was wondering what the chances of employment would be for a 52 year old FCA? Think I still have 15 good years left in me!

Bit worried that prospective Employers would think I was past it!

Hoping to get to Perth circa May 12 and would be looking for a job in admin/finance-Should be able to pick up MYOB easily enough but does anyone have any advice on other qualifications I could do by correspondence in the UK prior to going to familiarise myself with the OZ Tax/book-keeping rules?

Grateful for any advice here.

Thanks

The clues are that Centrelink, one of the Governments Department of Human Services that is responsible for the development of service delivery policy and provides access to social, health and other payments and services, starts helping oldies at 45 years of age!!!

Retirement villages, Lifestyle Villages as they can them, are designed for fit and active over 45's!!

Perth seems to be for either folk who want to come and earn big bucks, start a new life or for those that want an easy life. If you are 52 and want to work another 15 years at your age then you will not be the norm that's for sure :wink:

Joking aside if you come and build up a network of contacts you will find work. If you go to interviews keep your age off your CV, reduce the volume of previous jobs to a minimum and baffle the interviewers into thinking you are a sprightly 45 year old!!

I am older than you and have been through it all here in he last few years. It is a weird and wonderful job market with self employment to best route for many of us oldies. You work when you want, how you want and earn what you need. That way lifestyle gets the priorty and you do not become yet another hamster in the wheel.

Only my views and sure others will differ. But ask yourself this. Why would you want to come to one of the most beautiful places in the world and have to work your knackers off to survive? If that what it turns out to be then you need to go to plan B :wink:

Hi Dean & Margaret

Many thanks for your reply which is very encouraging-I am a fully qualified Chartered Accountant but am going to be doing an Oz book-keeping course by correspondence prior to coming over to increase my employment chances once there. Will definitely look you up when I arrive.

Hi All

Just joined forum and was wondering what the chances of employment would be for a 52 year old FCA? Think I still have 15 good years left in me!

Bit worried that prospective Employers would think I was past it!

Hoping to get to Perth circa May 12 and would be looking for a job in admin/finance-Should be able to pick up MYOB easily enough but does anyone have any advice on other qualifications I could do by correspondence in the UK prior to going to familiarise myself with the OZ Tax/book-keeping rules?

Grateful for any advice here.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to Perth poms, i am 54 and moving to Perth hopefully next June, I am going on the Parent visa to join my son over there. I work in care and have been assured there's lots of work in this field so fingers crossed i will be fine, i will be working until i drop so like you hope to have 14yrs left in me. Hope all goes well for you, if you don't mind me asking what visa are you going out on? Are you doing the parent visa too.? Ann

Guest sabyous

Hello Jond,

I am in the same boat. I am 45 years old, by profession I am banker.

I got PR from Western Australia and reside in Perth. Presently I am in strategic (Final) level of CIMA (Certified Institute of Management Accountants UK).

I couldn't get any response in Banking field in Perth thats why I am concerned to complete CIMA in the hope to get some response in purely accountancy/finance field.

As you are qualified chartered accountant, according to your knowledge and wisdom, can CIMA UK qualified persons get some reasonable position in Australia in accounts/ finance field.

I have 20 years experience in commercial banking field, did MBA and banking diploma. But all my education and experience is from my native country, may be for that reason I am not getting any response as i am lacking of local Australian experience. My much concern is that, Can i get some response if I complete CIMA/ CA(Aust) in the market,

considering the fact I am 45 years old.

Anybody please advise that can I enter and join any accountancy firm to fullfill the ICAA Practical requirements? Or it would be a difficult task to get enter in the industry considering

my age group?

Regards,

Sabir Yousuf

Hello Jond,I am in the same boat. I am 45 years old, by profession I am banker.I got PR from Western Australia and reside in Perth. Presently I am in strategic (Final) level of CIMA (Certified Institute of Management Accountants UK). I couldn't get any response in Banking field in Perth thats why I am concerned to complete CIMA in the hope to get some response in purely accountancy/finance field.As you are qualified chartered accountant, according to your knowledge and wisdom, can CIMA UK qualified persons get some reasonable position in Australia in accounts/ finance field. I have 20 years experience in commercial banking field, did MBA and banking diploma. But all my education and experience is from my native country, may be for that reason I am not getting any response as i am lacking of local Australian experience. My much concern is that, Can i get some response if I complete CIMA/ CA(Aust) in the market, considering the fact I am 45 years old.Anybody please advise that can I enter and join any accountancy firm to fullfill the ICAA Practical requirements? Or it would be a difficult task to get enter in the industry considering my age group?Regards,Sabir Yousuf
Hi sabinIf you email me your resume I will speak to my clients for you.If you can include in your email your salary expectations and also the role you are looking for.My email is dean.hewitt@dhappointments.com.au

Hi Sabir

Sorry can't help you here as don't know Employers attitudes to hiring non OZ staff. I am thinking of taking the Cert 1V Book-keeping course to get some background knowledge of the tax/accounting regime there.

Good luck.